Senior Software Engineer, Connected Devices - Roku
Point Richmond, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763430BR Location Point Richmond, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 31, 2020
Job Summary:As a Senior Software Engineer for Connected Devices, you will help us push the boundaries of what is possible on some of the most interesting 10-foot devices in the marketplace. You'll work on a team of other client developers alongside systems, services engineers, and project managers.
We’re looking for someone that is proficient at writing highly optimized Roku applications with a low memory footprint, appreciates the details that make the development lifecycle exceptional, including writing generalized and reusable code components, and demonstrates enthusiasm for new technologies, languages, frameworks, and platforms.
This opening is for both senior and mid-level software engineers. Whether you’re in New York City, San Francisco, or anywhere in the US (remote work), we provide opportunities to elevate your career and to transform an industry.
We truly believe we offer a unique opportunity for any technologist:
- To work on a bleeding edge technology stack
- To work with a world-class team of Engineers
- To work on award-winning, complex apps and systems
- To work in a highly collaborative team environment
- To have an influence on the innovation of products used globally by millions
- Rapidly prototype and implement scalable, reliable, and maintainable Roku applications using Roku Scene Graph and custom DSS libraries.
- Contribute to the development of shared components and libraries
- Enforce code quality through test driven development.
- Follow DSS patterns and practices.
- Collaborate closely with other engineering, product, and marketing teams to help define product requirements.
- 3 or more years of experience building compelling client applications, preferably on connected device or mobile platforms.
- Some experience with the Roku Scene Graph framework.
- Node.js and Gulp experience a plus.
In addition to the above, senior level candidates should have:
- 5 or more years of experience building compelling client applications, preferably on connected device or mobile platforms.
- 2 or more years experience developing Roku applications, some of which using the Roku Scene Graph framework.
- Experience with Node.js and preferably Gulp.
- Experience with and ability to communicate multiple different software architectures (MVC, MVVM, etc.) and application design patterns.
- Experience mentoring junior level team members.
- Experience building Roku apps with the Roku Scene Graph framework.
- DevOps tooling and development frameworks including Gulp, Node.js, Jenkins and AWS Lambda.
- Video streaming technologies including HLS and DRM.
- Development against client architectural patterns, such as MVC and MVVM.
- Development of client app architectural frameworks a plus.
- Your IDE of choice!
- MacOS-flavored Linux
- Github Enterprise
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.