Already applied?View Dashboard
Animation Lead (Project Hire)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 576893BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Jul. 18, 2018
Job Summary:Lucasfilm Animation and creators of the Emmy award winning animation series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and the highly successful animation series “Star Wars: Rebels” are looking for a versatile Animation Lead to join their production team.
The primary role of the Animation Lead, is to support the Animation Supervisor in the execution, and delivery of animated shot production. This role will also allow the individual exposure of what is needed to guide the overall look of a show, by way of shadowing key daily tasks of the Animation Supervisor. They need to have a thorough knowledge of the classical animation principles, and a strong grasp of an animation pipeline. The ideal candidate would be both an outstanding animator, and be able to work with higher level direction. They should possess strong leadership skills and outstanding communication.
- To support and collaborate with the Animation Supervisor and Supervising Director on the visual direction of animated sequences while also assisting the Animation Supervisor in leading the overseas Animation, Cloth, and Crowds teams.
- Work with the Animation Supervisor and Supervising Director to help set and maintain the style and look of the animation.
- Work alongside the Animation Supervisor to review daily animation deliveries and provide clear, concise critique.
- Attend after hours kick-off meetings and live dailies with overseas teams.
- Review and aid in the development of animation cycles.
- Partner with the Animation Coordinator to create and maintain documentation to assess and track the shots requiring Cloth and Crowds.
- Communicate daily with overseas vendors to aid in development and delivery of any Animation, Cloth, or Crowd related tasks.
- Present in progress and approved shots to Supervising Director for notes and final approval.
- Create high quality character animation utilizing the classic principles.
- Need to be able to create believable characters and physicality of motion whether biped, quadruped, or any other type of creature.
- Test new rigs and cycles and provide detailed feedback to overseas team.
- Communicate with Animation Coordinator, and other production colleagues for due dates on all internal shot production.
- Will be asked to help polish and take in progress animation shots to the next level of performance.
- Work with Animation Supervisor to collect footage of past episodes (Clone Wars/Rebels), as well as provide video performance reference to aid in animation of current episode.
- 5+ years experience working as an Animator on feature films, episodic television, or games with some of that time as an Animation Lead.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, time-management, and organizational skills are a must.
- Demonstrated professional character animation experience in the entertainment industry. Showing command of weight, timing, and posing through key frame animation.
- Strong understanding of classic animation principles, as well as to create the full range of performances from the dramatic and powerful to the subtle.
- Experience in animating creatures, vehicles, and machinery.
- Proficient with lip-sync and facial animation.
- Familiarity with rigging of characters. Knowledge of modeling is a plus.
- Must have an extremely creative and critical eye for guiding the quality of the animation.
- Expert knowledge of various software applications. Maya is a necessity. Technical expertise is a plus.
- Must be able to communicate to the animation crew and production team accurately and effectively.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.