Already applied?View Dashboard
Associate Brand Art Director (Lucasfilm Games)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 646477BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Mar. 13, 2019
Job Summary:Lucasfilm Franchise Games is looking to hire an Associate Brand Art Director on their Creative Team. This unique position requires an experienced, highly creative and motivated individual to partner with the best game developers in the world to build the next great set of Star Wars and Lucasfilm heritage products. This role supports the visual development and production of multiple licensed titles by providing helping define creating inspiring and information concept art and providing artistic direction, visual guidance and brand feedback for our games and interactive experiences that help define the style and quality standards on the target device.
- Maintain a close relationship with the Brand Creative Director by updating on product progress on creative through team standups, presentation and JIRA/Trello task.
- Partner with Internal Teams; Creative, Marketing, Production and the Story Team to develop games products.
- Communicate and collaborate directly with external game development teams to guide the products visual progress from beginning to the end.
- Regularly review game art and marketing materials insuring content is high quality and on brand.
- Establish visual standards using benchmark titles and provide recommendations to elevate the overall quality.
- Create paint-overs, mockups, or draw-overs of characters, environments, and user interface to illustrate changes and improvements.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the Lucasfilm brand (past and present) across multiple media including: film, television, parks, editorial, and games.
- Problem-solve creative and quality issues; identify achievable solutions that deliver brand consistency and appeal and improve the overall experience.
- Research and identify innovative, new visual styles and techniques; provide recommendations for new products and partners. Partner with Art Coordinator to pull reference applicable to products.
- Develop style guides and presentations for new and existing IP. Design and develop as needed internal creative collateral for franchise business development and brand guidelines.
- Attend film and television screenings and creative summits; share IP knowledge with game development teams.
- Participate in creative brainstorm sessions with partners to identify new ideas and game experiences.
- Meet with game developers both in person and remotely to ensure product vision and quality benchmarks are met.
- Maintain personal expenses reporting and booking travel.
- Ability to take direction from supervisor and act on recommendations to achieve sign-off.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the Star Wars and Lucasfilm heritage brand; broad understanding of current and past Star Wars properties across multiple lines of business including: Theatrical, television, parks, editorial and games.
- Strong understanding of game development including: art creation processes (both 2D and 3D), technology requirements and advancements, trade-offs, and challenges associated with development.
- Excellent knowledge of art and visual design principles and techniques regarding character and environment design, rendering, color, and animation.
- Strong draftsmanship skills with the ability to draw and digitally paint characters, environments and structures. Ability to create graphics, layout banners, edit media and light 3d modeling.
- Able to creatively supervise and drive projects from beginning to end with little assistance or supervision while keeping supervisor up to date on product progress.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines and expectations.
- Adapt at problem solving (both alone and in groups); ability to evaluate creative, challenges and provide credible and achievable solutions.
- Clear understanding of the big picture but can operate tactically to execute effectively against a project’s goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide clear and concise feedback and guidance, and present ideas with clarity and conviction.
- Self-starter, reliable, and passionate about their work and committed to their discipline and its challenges.
- Must be tech savvy! Proficient and knowledgeable with Macs/PCs, peripherals hardware and software knowledgeable. Requirements: Adobe creative suite, Microsoft Word and Excel, Google applications, Apple keynote and Apple Final Cut Pro or equivalent editing media program; experience with a 3D package (Maya, 3DS Max, etc.). is a must. Bonus experience but not required game engines and scripting.
- Full-time work schedule with additional hours as needed during product launches or when working with international partners.
- Ability to travel domestic and international as required.
- Portfolio or demo reel is required. A creative ability test may be requested.
- Minimum 5 years’ gaming experience on a ‘AAA’ mobile, console, or pc product. Experience with new mediums AR and VR is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working on branded licensed products
- Bachelor's Degree
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Online, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Online is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.