Associate VFX Supervisor - Expression of InterestApply NowApply Later Job ID 10001084 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
We are looking for an Associate VFX Supervisor who reflects the innovative spirit and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM. The Associate VFX Supervisor works closely with the VFX Supe on the show to help the artists achieve their best work for our clients and is consistent with ILM’s standards.
What You'll Do
- Recognize the focal point of a shot to tell the overall story and consistently work toward it.
- Work in tandem with the VFX Supervisor to ensure there is smooth communication with the crew and to the client.
- Recognize the client and VFX Supervisor’s vision and direction and help point the crew to the overall show goals. Sometimes this requires setting aside your own creative preferences in pursuit of the show needs.
- Proactively listen to the client's wishes and guide her/him to solutions that tell the story artistically and on budget.
- Sell finished shots appropriately in line with the overall show requirements.
- As needed, run dailies with the crew in an efficient, professional, and clear manner.
- Help advance innovative ILM technology
- Maintain a high level of proficiency in current tools and methodologies - both proprietary and 3rd party applications.
- Partner with Technology, R&D and show supervisors to advise on the optimum technical approach both for immediate show needs and long-term facility strategy. You’ll need to be technically versatile enough to comprehend the myriad technical solutions to problems.
- Represent ILM professionally and positively both within and outside the industry. Play a proactive key role in marketing ILM's services to the industry
- You possess the ability to approach the complexity of our work with excitement and humility; you know the limits of your own expertise and enjoy raising your hand early and often to get advice and input from your peers and our creative directors to create the best possible work as a team
- Perform 'hands on' work on shows when needed.
What We're Looking For
- Ability to demonstrate strong skills in visual storytelling, including shot design, composition, lighting and editing.
- You probably have 3+ years experience in successfully working in a supervisory capacity on several major productions and have 7+ years hands-on VFX production experience.
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Film or Fine Art or you have gained that experience by working in our industry.
- You have a demonstrable blend of technical and artistic skills, which might include a portfolio demonstrating strong traditional art skills and a reel demonstrating high end Feature Film VFX experience.
- Ability to manage artists (even those who work outside of your technical specialty) efficiently toward successful final shots.
- You recognize your limitations in your current technical knowledge and seek to broaden that knowledge.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.