Character Facial Modeler San Francisco, CAApply NowApply Later Job ID oeN0dfwY Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 13, 2020
With an emphasis on anatomy and form, the Facial Modeler will create three-dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped, and animated by the creature development team.
They will also create shape libraries for performance capture based on FACS action units.
What You'll Do
- Create three-dimensional creatures for use in visual effects.
- Employ specific software tools to design and build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production
- In building creatures, the Modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic knowledge of rigging and animation
- Create face shape sets from capture data and publish them to inhouse face rigs
- Work within the asset team, alongside Texture Artists and Lead Modeler to determine the “look” for an object
- Build the topology of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process
- Perform other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated characters and creatures, including blend shapes, clothing, and shot sculpting
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or equivalent with a thorough understanding of anatomy, character design, and animation
- Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus
- Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production environment
- Proven experience in creating refined FACS shapes
- Anatomical knowledge of the face
- Requires familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
- A demonstrated desire to develop computer skills
- Proven Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience
- Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.