Core Pipeline Engineer III
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 877137BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Oct. 25, 2021
The Lucasfilm Advanced Development Group (ADG) is looking for Software Engineers to join our content pipeline team. As a Core Pipeline Engineer III at the ADG, you will be responsible for designing and building the core libraries and APIs that enable distributed content creation workflows that push the boundaries of ILM’s Virtual Production tools and empower the creation of Disney’s Metaverse.
- Implement, maintain and support core libraries and APIs upon which applications, tools and systems are built upon to make the production content creation process at ILM as efficient as possible, leveraging ILM’s technology infrastructure across Windows and Linux environments
- Implement, maintain and support infrastructure that leverages REST APIs and microservice architectures to modernize and decouple the distributed artist workforce from a monolithic code base
- Implement, maintain and support software development best practices, unit testing and test coverage to ensure a robust production platform
- Implement, maintain and support software development in both Windows and Linux environments, leveraging Python2 and Python3 runtimes
- Maintain and support software products released to production
- Provide front-line support for end-users and assist with technical issues, coach system use and raise any usability or bugs with the Pipeline team to resolve
- Collaborates with the ADG DevOps and other ILM technology departments to build scalable and robust systems for all ILMxLAB, Virtual Production and Virtual Art Department productions
- Creates and maintains clear and concise documentation outlining the use of products and solutions in production
- Participate in special projects as needed
- 5-8 years relevant experience
- Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, immersive experiences, film, commercials or television/episodical
- Strong understanding of developing Python packages for studio-wide distribution and use
- Strong understanding of building microservice architectures and RESTful API interfaces with frameworks such as Flask or Django
- Strong understanding of processes that ought to be automated versus those that require manual intervention
- Good understanding of microservice architectures leveraging message brokering systems like RabbitMQ, AmazonSQS or Apache Kafka
- Basic understanding of leveraging cloud computing platforms (AWS, GCP) to create application and services that scale flexibly
- Knowledge of renderfarm queue management solutions like Deadline or OpenCue
- Strong understanding of software engineering best practices, engineering trends, emerging products and the role of the pipeline engineering team in VFX, feature Animation or AAA games production
- Strong understanding of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Strong understanding of source control management systems like Git, Perforce, SVN, etc
- Strong understanding of the Python programming language and standard python libraries
- Good understanding of developing software in Linux or Windows environments
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks.
- A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
- A passion for creating efficient and stable workflows that allow artists to focus on content creation
- Excellent communication skills, able to work as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
- Familiarity with visual effects, feature animation or AAA game content pipelines
- Experience with production database systems (MySQL, Postgres or NoSQL equivalents)
- Experience configuring CD and CI systems such a Jenkins, TeamCity and remote build systems
- A curiosity about Machine Learning and its applications in real-time production environments
- Experience leveraging cloud computing platforms (AWS, GCP) to create application and services that scale flexibly
- Bachelor’s degree in, or professional equivalent to, Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent professional experience
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.