Digital Asset ArtistApply NowApply Later Job ID 813054BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Jun. 14, 2021
Lucasfilm Animation is the creator of the Emmy award-winning animation series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Star Wars: The Bad Batch, an original series now streaming on Disney+.
We are looking for a Digital Asset Artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
The primary role of the Digital Asset Artist is to create high-quality proxy and production assets of hard surface, architectural and environmental-related objects for use in company projects. This person will work with the Asset Director to understand the technical, performance and aesthetic requirements required to create highly performant and optimized assets suitable for use within the company’s production pipeline. The successful candidate will demonstrate proficiency at transforming 2D and 3D concept art into functional assets with exceptional fidelity true to the original designs.
- Build well-crafted and highly performant proxy assets for use in previz environments with aesthetic fidelity true to the source concept art and designs.
- Model hard surface, environmental and architectural objects including props, vehicles, buildings, foliage, terrain, etc. with optimized topology to support efficient polygonal and subdivision geometry.
- Perform UV mapping of complex objects and paint original textures in the style of the show. Understand and ensure basic texel density requirements are met for textured assets.
- Build complex procedural materials within Maya/Arnold and Substance Designer for use in show assets.
- Work with the Asset Director and Art Director to ensure models are consistent with the show’s style.
- Ensure department and show-based technical specifications and requirements are observed in building show assets.
- Develop, document and disseminate information relating to novel asset creation workflows and techniques for use by our internal and external partner company asset teams.
- Works with the production team to ensure all relevant deadlines are maintained.
- Perform other tasks and duties relating to the creation, use and maintenance of show assets.
- Create rendered turntables of assets for review.
- Aid efforts to ensure parity between proxy assets and the production assets built by our partner studios.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Maya and strong understanding of standard CG asset-building methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to model and texture map a variety of complex 3D assets.
- Has good working knowledge of alternative 3D digital asset creation tools including ZBrush, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Mari, Marvelous Designer, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency at rigging complex, non-character assets to meet show performance and articulation requirements.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work under tight deadlines while maintaining a high level of productivity and quality.
- Able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Asset creation for real time environments experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to break down designs into fundamental building blocks for rapid and efficient construction of large and complex asset preferred
- Working proficiency in Linux environments preferred
- Traditional arts or painting background preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related Art and Design field including Architecture, Industrial Design, Digital Media, Game Development or equivalent professional
- 2-4 years producing digital assets for animation, visual effects, or video game productions.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.