Director, Media Product QoEApply NowApply Later Job ID 884722BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; London, England, United Kingdom Business Disney Streaming Date posted Nov. 18, 2021
Quality of the streaming experience is at the heart of all products powered by the Disney Streaming platform. Optimizing quality for every viewer and every device on (almost) every continent requires an expert ability to define analysis, instrumentation, and tooling requirements, develop insights around QoE impact, and work across a variety of technical, operational, and product teams to identify and prioritize improvement opportunities. You will work closely with counterparts in data, engineering, operations, product management, and design teams as well as with executive teams, to ensure streaming performance and quality remains industry-leading.
You will manage a team of product managers responsible for specific facets of QoE evaluation and optimization, representing a variety of stakeholders, and will identify and hire to fill resource needs while digging in yourself as necessary.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical, resourceful, team oriented, and will have an ability to work independently under time constraints to meet deadlines. You will have a proven track record in taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment. The ideal candidate makes data-driven decisions, obsesses about the customer, forms strong yet loosely held opinions, and can build trust with all areas of the business. We value passionate product leadership that drives with discipline and attention to detail.
- Work with product, data, operational, and engineering stakeholders to establish and manage QoE strategy, objectives, roadmap, KPIs, and prioritization
- Partner with data, engineering and operational teams to identify analysis and optimization opportunities to drive the best possible streaming experience for viewers, within the constraints of devices, consumer environments, and available technology
- Take a data-driven approach to constantly improve the streaming experience – devise measurement and reporting frameworks and processes to communicate status to neighbors and stakeholders, as appropriate to each
- Manage a team that effectively collaborates with engineering teams to translate product requirements into actionable stories using an Agile product development process
- 5+ years experience in product management in one or more aspects of live and/or VOD media streaming
- Strategic insight into the current video streaming landscape both domestically and globally, with an understanding of and strong opinions on current trends
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to prioritize well and communicate clearly across all levels of the organization with a proven ability to influence and engage senior executives
- Demonstrated success leading a team in achieving ambitious short, medium and long-term goals
- Extensive experience developing video products across multiple platform
- A demonstrated ability to use data to inform and drive decisions and back up assumptions and recommendations
- A strong high-level technical understanding of all aspects of streaming media, including ABR protocols, encoding and packaging, HDR, DRM, DAI, etc.
- An exceptional understanding of QoE metrics and their use in a product context
- Strong strategic aptitude, clear thinking and communicating, and great decision making capabilities
- Passion for making customers happy, with strong opinions about excellent customer experience
- A strong attention to detail, with an ability to take a step back and understand the bigger picture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Scrappy and resourceful, with no fear of getting your hands dirty, an impulse to be the first to tackle any challenge, and ability to excel in new areas
- A demonstrated ability to work with engineering teams to discuss technical concepts, make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks, and evaluate new ideas
- Direct QoE product management experience
- BA or BS in a quantitative field (Business, Math/Statistics, Economics, CS, Engineering, or similar)
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.