Director, Media Product (Video Player)
San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 808782BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jun. 07, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services seeks an enthusiastic and experienced senior product manager to lead our video player product team. Reporting to the VP, Media Product in San Francisco, and part of the rapidly growing Media Product team, the job location is San Francisco or New York.
The video player is the heart of the streaming experience for our users, continually evolving in order to keep the player experience compelling, satisfying, and familiar—regardless of device. You will work closely with counterparts in design, engineering, and product management, as well as with executive teams, to ensure the product fulfills business, technical, and consumer priorities. You will define and drive the video player product roadmap.
Your mission is to define and execute product roadmaps for a vertically-integrated video player ecosystem covering video players across a range of platforms, from low-level stream handling to UX innovations. In addition to continuously driving and improving execution of this core mission, you will work closely with counterparts in engineering, product management, and executive teams to ensure the product fulfills business, technical, and consumer priorities. You will manage a team of product managers responsible for specific facets of the ecosystem and will identify resource needs while digging in yourself. You and your team will have a primary role in defining the video player product roadmap, and will drive it.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical, resourceful, team oriented, and will have an ability to work independently under time constraints to meet deadlines. You will have a proven track record in taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment. The ideal candidate makes data-driven decisions, obsesses about the customer, forms strong yet loosely held opinions, and can build trust with all areas of the business. We value passionate product leadership that drives with discipline and attention to detail.
- Work with business, product, and engineering stakeholders to establish and manage video player product strategy, objectives, roadmap, and KPIs
- Partner with Disney Streaming Services UX and engineering teams to identify new product and process opportunities to drive the best possible player experience for viewers, within the constraints of devices, consumer environments, and available technology
- Take a data-driven approach to constantly improve the player and playback experience – devise measurement and reporting frameworks and processes to communicate status to neighbors and stakeholders, as appropriate to each
- Collaborate with engineering teams to translate product requirements into actionable stories using an Agile product development process
- 10+ years of experience in product management in one or more aspects of live and/or VOD media streaming
- Strategic insight into the current video streaming landscape both domestically and globally, with an understanding of and strong opinions on current trends
- Demonstrated success leading a team in achieving ambitious short, medium and long-term goals
- Extensive experience developing video products across Apple, Android and OTT platforms
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to prioritize well and communicate clearly across all levels of the organization with a proven ability to influence and engage senior executives
- A demonstrated ability to use data to inform and drive decisions and back up assumptions and recommendations
- A strong high-level technical understanding of all aspects of streaming media, including ABR protocols, encoding and packaging, HDR, DRM, DAI, etc.
- Technical familiarity with ABR streaming technologies and player mechanics
- A strong understanding of common QoE metrics and their use in a product context
- You provide strong strategic aptitude, clear thinking and communicating, and great decision making
- You obsess about making customers happy and have strong opinions about good customer experience
- A strong attention to detail, with an ability to take a step back and understand the bigger picture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- You are scrappy and resourceful, with no fear of getting your hands dirty and an impulse to be the first to tackle any challenge.
- You have a demonstrated ability to work with engineering teams to discuss technical concepts, make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks, and evaluate new ideas
- Direct video player product management experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.