Front End Software Engineer
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763454BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 29, 2020
Job Summary:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney’s international media operations and the Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Disney Streaming Services (DSS) is looking for a talented Full Stack Software Engineer with strong applied experience to join the Content Distribution and Origin (CDO) team. We’re looking for creative thinkers who also know how to create real-world products.
Working with the latest in streaming video, web serving and caching technologies, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a platform that involves configuration, content & traffic management for Disney+ around the world. We are a fast paced and growing team, where you will have an opportunity to learn about content delivery infrastructure landscape and challenges in the area of content distribution network and origin as our streaming services launch around the world over the next few years.
- Work on a modern stack including VueJS and Amazon Web Services.
- Assist in the development of requirements and work closely with CDO/CDN specialists for specifications.
- Provide mentorship to other developers and advise and implement best engineering code practices and principles.
- Participate in the full-lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing and maintenance).
- Diagnose issues, evaluate and recommend the best resolution, and execute against that plan.
- Strong technical, problem-solving, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate strong partnering and coaching skills.
- You are experienced building web applications and comfortable working in both the front end and the back end.
- In-depth experience in VueJS or similar framework.
- Design-oriented and UX expert a plus: understanding of typography, layout, color theory, usability, and other design principles
- Experience setting and/or expanding engineering best practices.
- Comfortable evaluating and taking calculated risks adopting new technologies.
- Experience with Java development.
- Working knowledge of CI/CD and DevOps.
- Modern Git based Source Code Control Repositories experience.
- Solid programming discipline: unit testing, fault tolerance, data structures, complexity analysis, object-oriented principles, design patterns, etc.
- Enterprise Relational DB experience is a plus.
- Competent in design/implementation for reliability, availability, scalability and performance.
- Strong motivation in picking up new domains and writing and shipping well-tested code.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with cross functional business partners.
- Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Experience working with infrastructure tools.
- Experience with network and content delivery.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.