ILMxLAB AnimatorApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 10000342 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, production excellence and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Animator is responsible for high-quality animation of 3D characters, weapons, vehicles, and cameras for both gameplay and cinematic sequences. He collaborates with the dev team to create compelling performances within real time rendered immersive experiences.
What You’ll Do
- Creates high-quality gameplay and cinematic animation at a high level of polish, using hand-key animation and motion capture data with some direction from Supervisors and other leads
- Works closely with creative leads to develop captivating animation that fits the style and pacing of the title. This may involve:
- Delivering blocking animatics and quick draft animations for proof of concepts
- Technical proficiency in character-set up, animation techniques, and AI behavior in order to create work that integrates successfully and reads clearly in-game
- Assist in mo-cap shooting sessions with asset prep, choreography, shot/motion list, direction etc.
- Establish a solid grasp of the existing tools and pipelines, experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
- Help define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and pipeline development.
- Playtest and troubleshoot or report any potential animation-related issues
- Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary. Monitor progress of animation deliverables
- Other related duties as assigned
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years experience as an animator (or equivalent) in games, TV/Film/VFX, or a related field
- Strong acting and storytelling skills and knowledgeable of animation principles, anatomy and motion
- Highly proficient with Maya, and experience with the implementation of animation in the game engine, especially Unreal Engine
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Help support junior animators
- Ability to take direction/feedback as well as adapt to learn new processes, tools and platforms
- Experience with Motion capture as well as hand keyed animation at a high level of polish
- Bonus points for:
- Multiple shipped games
- Proficiency with Linux
- Experience with Motion capture data
- Knowledge of rigging, scripting (Python, Mel), and video editing
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all artist applications*
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.