ILMxLAB Backend Engineer San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID oFIQefwb Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 05, 2021
ILMxLAB is looking for a Backend Engineer to create efficient and scalable services for the next generation of Virtual & Augmented Reality experiences. You will work in a small, fast-paced team delivering synchronous/asynchronous services, persistent connection services, social systems and more!
What You’ll Do
- Develop distributed, resilient and high-performing back-end services
- Deploy applications in microservice architecture using container orchestration tools
- Work closely with front-end developers as part of a feature team
- Help code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews.
- Oversee performance testing at the server level and load testing at the service level
- Be proactive about service errors, interruptions and performance issues
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience (equivalent to 15+ years)
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- Experience with API design and implementation at scale
- Experience developing scalable backend web services (NodeJS, Python, Java, Ruby, Rust...)
- Experience with non-relational databases (Mongo, Dynamo, Redis...)
- Knowledgeable on Docker and/or Kubernetes in a cloud environment
- Knowledgeable operating AWS or other similar backend related technologies
- Experience with Linux/Unix and scripting languages like Python, Perl, shell scripting, etc
- Knowledge of full service stack principles, from UI in the front-end to databases in the back-end
- Passion to investigate and adopt new technologies and practices
- Great communication skills that facilitate a collaborative working environment
- Bonus Points for:
- Hands on experience working on video streaming applications and familiar with video formats/technologies (h264/h265/VP9/others)
- Experience designing and developing synchronous, real time/high performance/low latency back end apps
- AR development experience (iOS/Android)
- Game or mobile application development experience
- Passion for the VR/AR entertainment industry
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.