ILMxLAB Character ArtistApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 10001040 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, inclusive mindset and passion for great storytelling that define ILM & ILMxLAB.
The Character Artist is a key member of the art team at ILMxLAB who works closely with Concept and other Character Artists to define and refine distinctive, memorable characters. You proactively seek opportunities to elevate the game, enjoy finding emerging technologies that improve the pipeline, embrace constructive feedback, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with Concept, Design, and the Senior Character Artist to conceptualize and model characters along with their hard surface accessories based on original art and photographic reference
- Work closely with our look-development team to create and apply textures and materials with aesthetic appreciation for real-world references, run-time lighting and story driven aesthetics
- Create high quality character models and materials/shaders including in-game and high-resolution assets
- Partner with the character technical directors to help define modeling standards for rigging, deformation, and simulation within performance budgets, and other run-time requirements
- Become familiar with new tools, performance capture hardware, software and data, and other emerging modeling techniques
- Work within deadlines and display strong time management skills
What We’re Looking For
- 3+ years of professional experience as a character artist in games, film, feature animation, or other related fields
- MFA or equivalent experience required
- Previous experience as a Character Artist on at least one released title
- Proficient in Maya, ZBrush or Mudbox and Photoshop; knowledge of Mari a bonus; Unreal experience preferred
- Able to work with a high degree of self-direction and balance multiple tasks at once
- Self motivation and a passion for the VR/AR industry is essential
- Portfolio showing the following:
- Detailed knowledge of human and animal anatomy, with example character and costume designs across multiple styles or genres
- Aesthetic appreciation for composition, proportion, mass and volume, light, lighting and color
- 3D sculpting and modeling abilities interpreting 2D concept
- Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout
- Clear examples of how to emulate real-world materials in CG while considering hardware performance
- Knowledge of garment tailoring, cloth simulation and mesh construction built to deform in a realistic manner in real-time
- Extra points for facial blendshapes and correctives, pose space deformation shapes, animated wrinkles and normal maps, hair and fur, body kits and accessories
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all artist applications*
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.