ILMxLAB Creature Technical Director San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID oL8y9fwk Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 01, 2019
We’re on a mission: building the future. We are lucky to work in an amazing fusion of development where exceptional, interactive & immersive stories combine with groundbreaking visuals and sound. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds. Building and releasing these experiences, we endeavor to raise the bar as high as we possibly can. The result is powerful, story-based immersive entertainment.
It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a highly creative & highly technical environment that thrives on collaboration. If that sounds interesting, jump in! Our team is growing. We're looking for talented and driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of premium immersive stories. Virtual reality, mixed reality, real-time cinema, theme park entertainment and narrative-based experiences - our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling as it’s never been done before!
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
- Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual representation of characters while ensuring optimal performance.
- Design, build and test advanced animation rigs, setups, systems and workflows for a variety of ultra high-end characters, creatures, vehicles and props via Maya, Unreal and ILM's proprietary toolsets.
- Assist in development & maintenance of systems and workflows for animating and rigging characters which expedite our character setup and animation process, as well as writing scripts to facilitate art production when required.
- Maintain understanding of industry gold-standard, as well as monitoring promising new techniques, in terms of available tools & systems - via Maya, Unreal, etc. - for skeletons, facial animation methodologies, and constraints used for character animation.
- Develop familiarity & understanding of proprietary toolsets & workflows in the ILM pipeline, integrating as necessary with established best-practices for real-time production workflow, adapting and evolving to solve problems within that hybrid framework. This position calls for an individual who enjoys the difficulty of solving problems, with a keen attention to detail and sense of anticipation.
- Consult in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary; participate in project stand-ups, meetings, and reviews.
- Actively participate in concept testing of new ideas and building of rapid prototypes.
Required Skills / Experience
- Minimum 3 yrs experience as a Character TD, Technical Artist-Rigger or Technical Animation Setup role for AAA game development, directly supporting the production with rigging, scripting & tool development.
- Minimum 3 yrs production experience with Maya, Maya API
- Excellent working knowledge of scripting - Maya Python/PyMEL, C++ API, and PySide/PyQt GUI design experience
- A strong understanding of the real-time art production pipeline & process for different types of asset creation - with super-powered understanding of potential pitfalls for movement mechanics & deformation.
- Strong grasp of basic of animation principles, clear understanding of anatomy, kinematics & deformation
- Extensive experience with integration of performance capture animation for both body & face
- Experience with run-time, blend-tree based animation systems. Unreal and Maya experience preferred.
Desired Skills / Experience
- Strong understanding of Unreal Animation features & toolsets: blueprints, component anims, physics-based anims, Sequencer, Matinee
- Experience with cloth, hair, fracturing and rigid simulations
- Working knowledge of Linux, Perforce, Linear Algebra
- VFX production experience
- Experience or interest in the creation of VR & MR experiences
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.