ILMxLAB Experience Designer San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID oE2D7fwa Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 10, 2018
We’re on a mission: building the future. We are lucky to work in an amazing fusion of development where exceptional, interactive & immersive stories combine with groundbreaking visuals and sound. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds. Building and releasing these experiences, we endeavor to raise the bar as high as we possibly can. The result is powerful, story-based immersive entertainment.
It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a highly creative & highly technical environment that thrives on collaboration. If that sounds interesting, jump in! Our team is growing. We're looking for talented and driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of premium immersive stories. Virtual reality, augmented reality, real-time cinema, theme park entertainment and narrative based experiences - our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling as it’s never been done before!
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences.
- Contribute to the creation of new interactive entertainment paradigms in VR and AR.
- Direct & conspire with creative & tech team on the optimal design, build, and scripting of levels for amazing real-time experiences.
- Drive and collaborate in the definition and maintenance of design pillars.
- Creation of design / feature documentation, creative briefs, wireframes, flows & UI proposals
- Manage & track design-related deliverables.
- Follow design reference and interpret / optimize for experience
- Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary; participate in project stand-ups, meetings, and reviews.
- Supervision & mentoring of junior design staff.
- Participate in design, organization and execution of usability & play testing
- Designs, builds, tests and iterates rapid functional prototypes, new ideas and mechanics.
Education / Experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in entertainment design, game design, interaction design, new media design, related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ yrs experience & demonstrable facility in the process & design of interactive experiences: understanding of flow, pace, engagement, structure, environment, storytelling, replay, etc.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Experienced designing interactions and interfaces for hardware and software
- Understanding, appreciation (& identification) of design patterns related to design of user-centered interactive experiences & UI
- Analysis – your instincts get you very far. You understand the power of metrics & data and want to discover the best possible experience via collected analytics and community feedback.
- Expert with standard design communication tools: Illustrator, Photoshop, Visio / OmniGraffle
- Skilled with level design & media prototyping tools: Unity, Unreal, SketchUp, After Effects, etc.
Desired Skills / Competencies
- Experience in and passion for the creation of VR & AR experiences
- Design of experiences for mobile devices or consumer electronics
- Strong graphic design sensibilities & ability to communicate visually
- Understanding of 3D content creation & pipelines (Maya, SoftImage, Max, etc.)
- SCRUM / Agile development experience
- Must be willing to travel occasionally
**Portfolio of relevant design experience is required. Show us your chops: documents (design, creative briefs), images, diagrams, movies of walk-throughs or levels are needed.**
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.