ILMxLAB Outsourcing Artist, EnvironmentApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 10001103 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great storytelling that defines ILMxLAB. The Outsourcing Artist is responsible for ensuring that outsourced art assets are of the highest quality by preparing thorough asset briefs for our external partners and integrating the assets back into our pipeline. The Outsourcing Artist works closely with the internal art team and outsourcing partners to provide actionable feedback on the art production process.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with the art and production teams to reach their goals for content delivery
- Conduct regular reviews and send feedback on the art and technical quality of vendor submissions
- Create comprehensive briefs, best practice documentation and bid packages to send to external vendors
- Provide actionable feedback to vendors at key stages of asset creation: Low poly, high poly/sculpt, material bake and final delivery phases
- Help direct vendor work on multiple asset types including but not limited to hard surface, organic, vegetation, vehicles, materials and graphic design, under guidance and direction from the Environment Art team as well as Leads from other disciplines
- Optimize and polish assets after external delivery including UVs, baking, material and texture adjustments and optimization
- Work with environment artists to ensure Greymesh models, reference images and concept art is provided to our external partners
- Ensure that style remains consistent under the direction of the Supervisor of Env Art and other Environment Artists
- Identify risks associated with meeting project milestones
- Be solution oriented and work with others to drive process improvements
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years of experience in game art asset creation in different software packages including Maya, Zbrush, Substance and Photoshop
- Proficient in modeling, sculpting, baking and UV layout in Maya, Max, or equivalent
- Proficient in texture and material creation with Photoshop, Substance Painter, Substance Designer
- Experience with ZBrush or other sculpting generating software a plus
- Proficient foundational skills, including composition, design, and color theory
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules
- Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team
- Previous experience with Unreal is a big plus!
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with LECL VFX Inc Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
LECL VFX Inc Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.