ILMxLAB Production Manager San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID omCC8fws Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 11, 2018
The Production Manager functions as the Producer’s right hand, stepping up to support Producer duties as required and keeping a direct line of communication with the xLAB Producer on all aspects of the project. The PM assists in the maintenance of budgets, schedules, product delivery, and day-to-day client relationships.
- The Production Manager reports to the CG Talent Manager for larger career development, compensation, etc.
- Simultaneously manage one or more xLAB projects from award through delivery
- Under direction of VFX Producer, collaborate with CG Talent managers on day-to-day crew needs as required
- Manage team (“Proto Pod”) responsible for rapid prototyping; manage the production crew on a daily basis including directing Coordinators and Production Assistants to ensure all show needs are met
- Proactively problem-solve and raise concerns in all aspects of production
- Provide support as liaison across ILM and Lucasfilm departments for technical and creative issues that arise to ensure work stays on schedule and optimal workflow is adhered to
- Evaluate and learn individual artist strengths; help develop cross utilization of resources to promote an effective workflow
- Act as default leader when Producer is out of office or otherwise engaged, and is responsible for directing ‘2nd lieutenant’ level duties with the production crew
- In collaboration with Producer and Supervisors, create overall show asset and shot schedule across all disciplines, using ILM’s best practices for scheduling; oversee implementation of schedule by guiding and directing coordinators, Supervisors and leads as needed; when necessary, create and manage all aspects of a plan for outsourcing or working with 3rd party vendors
- Communicate frequently with key stakeholders on the status of projects
- Partner with Experience Director(s) to develop the approach for creating the experience and assist in providing estimates of budget & schedule requirements needed to complete the work
- Prepare bid letter, key dates schedule, and assumptions for each project. In collaboration with the Executive Creative Producer, help implement the new business model that incorporates sharing in financial upside in the event of monetization
- During production, assist in maintaining contact with the client for non-creative issues, tracking and reporting progress of work, budgeting cost of work, and delivering cost/schedule changes to ensure parties are updated as needed
- Run bid meetings as needed. Budgeting may or may not be required, and would be left to the discretion of the Producer. In partnership with Producer, check EFC to make sure work is on budget
- Travel for client meetings and/or plate shoots as needed
- As needed, provide support and evaluation and management of EFC and work with production accountants to provide management with early, consistent, and accurate EFC reporting
- Participate and oversee work on-set as required
- Act as primary point of contact for PR with regard to promotional opportunities for xLAB
- Special projects as requested
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Film or related field or equivalent work experience required
- Five years minimum work experience in production
Required Skills / Competencies
- Strong scheduling experience
- Able to multi-task and manage multiple projects in various stages of production on aggressive timelines
- Proven experience organizing successful shoots – ideally both mocap and live action
- Technical knowledge and expertise necessary
- Must possess very strong organizational and communication skills and be able to handle a variety of tasks efficiently while meeting deadlines
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Commercial and/or agency production experience preferred
Required Technical Skills
- Proficiency in Macs/PCs including Microsoft Word and Excel
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.