ILMxLAB Production Manager - Expression of Interest San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID omCC8fws Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 11, 2018
*Remote Work Option Available for the rest of 2020, with potential to relocate Bay Area where this role will eventually be based*
Production Managers (‘PMs’) function as the Producer’s right hand on ILMxLAB’s immersive entertainment projects. They create and maintain the project roadmap and manage the internal and external work toward successful milestone completions. PMs report to the project’s Producer on a daily basis, and to the Senior Manager, Talent & Production for performance management and career development.
As a Production Manager, you will be an inspiring and intuitive team captain, and a strategic planner who deftly adapts plans to evolving needs.
On any given day, you might
- Create and manage overall project schedules, resource plans, and deliverables for projects across all disciplines from creative development through product delivery. Maintain these and other supporting documents to track and report on project’s status and overall progress/completion.
- Plan and manage work across all disciplines from pre-production through delivery by using ILMxLAB’s best practices for scheduling and determining the optimal mix of internal talent and third-party partners. Oversee implementation of the schedule by guiding and directing production staff and discipline leads, and communicating project goals, schedules, deadlines, and other information to the project team members, and internal/external stakeholders.
- In tandem with the Producer, work with technical and creative leads to define project workflows, milestones and execution plans. Participate in project scoping activities to gain context for effective production scheduling.
- Manage resource needs for the project and serve as the hub for internal crew assignment changes by making and/or vetting all changes. Partner with the Production Resource Manager to identify third-party developers appropriate for the body of work. Prepare vendor bidding packages, contribute to vendor cost analysis and weekly cost reporting as needed.
- Evaluate and learn individual team members’ strengths in order to assign work appropriately; help develop cross-utilization of resources to promote an effective workflow.
- In conjunction with the Producer, manage the production crew on a daily basis, including giving direction to Associate Production Managers, Coordinators and Production Assistants, defining their responsibilities for the project, prioritizing their work, and providing performance feedback and growth opportunities.
- Act independently and proactively to problem-solve and identify risks in all areas of internal and external production. Mitigate risks and recommend course adjustments to Producer and other Leads as necessary.
- Act as production leader when the Producer is out of office or otherwise engaged, and is responsible for ‘2nd lieutenant’ level duties with the production crew.
- At the discretion of the Producer, may assist with contributing to bid meetings as needed. Budgeting may or may not be required, and would be left to the discretion of the Producer. In partnership with the Producer, check EFCs to make sure work is on budget and assist with capacity planning.
- Handle partner/client communication when Producer is unavailable
- Special projects may be assigned
Skills and experience you need to be successful in this role
- Bachelor's degree in Film, Game Development, Animation or related field, or equivalent work experience required.
- 7 years minimum work experience in Project Management or as a Producer in Games, Software Development, Animation, Visual Effects, or similar creative production industries.
- Extensive experience scheduling projects with complex dependencies, and a detailed understanding of production/development processes is required.
- Ability to problem-solve, balance priorities and multi-task efficiently within a fast-paced creative environment which requires adaptability and flexibility.
- Demonstrate qualities of an effective, experienced project manager: integrity; diplomacy, forward-thinking; collaboration; compassion; dedication, patience.
- Ability to motivate and empower teams, foster collaboration and communicate effectively with team members of all levels while displaying team leadership skills.
- Ability to focus not only on project needs, but also with consideration for priorities of the Studio.
- Attention to detail, consistent follow through and strong communication skills.
- Excellent time and resource management skills.
- Ability to self-motivate and meet deliverables while working independently.
- Proficiency in project planning tools such as MS Project or Smartsheet, and task management tools such as JIRA, Asana, etc.
Preferred Skills / Experience
- Experience in both traditional film/tv production and real-time immersive (Virtual Reality, Augmented/Mixed Reality), interactive, or virtual production experience is a plus.
- Experience managing both internal and external development teams is a plus.
- Professional experience with both agile and waterfall project management methodologies is a plus.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.