ILMxLAB Senior Environment ArtistApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 10001125 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
We are looking for an artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, inclusive mindset and passion for great storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
Environment Artists are key members of the highly skilled, creative team at ILMxLAB who work closely with Art and Creative Directors to create stunning, performant real-time environments that are fundamental to the player experience. Your mission is to build immersive, high fidelity worlds for cutting-edge XR technologies using the industry’s most exciting IP.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity and artistic innovation
- Work closely with the design leads to conceptualize, model, dress and light real-time worlds based on related concept art and photographic reference for franchise / IP
- Work with engineering leads & technical artists to establish and maintain performance and memory budget streaming requirements and other run-time requirements
- Establish a thorough understanding of the existing tools and pipelines; experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
- Define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and art pipeline development
- Able to generate art task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary
- Actively participate in the QA process to identify and fix bugs
- Supervision of junior and mid-level artists, as required
What We’re Looking For
- 5-7+ years of professional experience in game development with two or more shipped titles (or equivalent)
- Extensive experience designing, modelling, and texturing 3D assets using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D/2D programs)
- Deep knowledge and experience using Unreal Engine 4 (or equivalent game engine), including terrain / landscape editing, level streaming set-up and implementation
- Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modelling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
- Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout
- Advanced abilities in Z-Brush or Mud Box
- Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting.
- Ability to switch between a wide range of styles
- Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, direction and changes
- Bonus points for:
- Passion for game development, and working in VR or AR
- Experience with Substance Designer / Painter, Mari, WorldMachine, Quixel
- Experience working with photogrammetry
- Experience with Unity, FrostEd, Hammer, Radiant or other level design / editor tools
- Outsourcing/Vendor management experience
- Previous experience as a lead on a project
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all artist applications*
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with LECL VFX Inc Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
LECL VFX Inc Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.