Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
ILMxLAB Technical Art Intern, San Francisco - Summer 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 600334BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm,ILMxLAB Date posted Jan. 17, 2019
Job Summary:ILMxLAB produces premium, story‐based immersive entertainment experiences for the following real‐time rendered platforms: Immersive Cinema, Virtual Reality, Mixed Reality, Theme Parks & New Media. The ILMxLAB Technical Art Intern will utilize fine art and technical art skills to contribute to the production of experiences by creating environment, prop and VFX assets and supporting technical pipeline segments (asset cleanup, file management, tools scripting) while learning the unique workflow of creating content for emerging platforms.
- Help process/optimize art assets for efficient use in game engine.
- Under supervision of asset artists, create models, textures, material setups/UV layouts and some look development for environment/prop assets, including LODs.
- Learn real‐time art workflow in the immersive experience production context.
- Learn features/functions in Unreal Engine 4 and third‐party tools. Create art examples using these tools and create effective presentations showing findings and results.
- Setting up and organizing project files, including cleaning up references and folders to comply with established protocols.
- Under supervision of technical artists, perform scripting tasks and gain experience in:
○ Game design scripting
○ Small tools scripting
○ Unreal 4 plug‐ins
- Skills/training in both traditional art (composition, drawing, sketching, and color theory) and technical art (CG modeling, texturing, surfacing, animation, lighting, VFX)
- Experience working in a game engine, Unreal Engine 4 preferred.
- Basic knowledge of version control systems, Perforce preferred.
- Ability to translate 2D concept art into 3D objects with accuracy.
- Competence with one or more 3D graphics applications (Maya, 3Ds Max)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities.
- Proven ability to work autonomously and in team settings with a positive, proactive attitude.
- Strong time management skills; Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- CG generalist‐type education, with a solid understanding of all game development disciplines.
- Working knowledge of the following applications:
- Unreal Engine 4
- Substance Painter
- SCRUM/Agile understanding helpful.
Required EducationJunior, Senior, or Graduate Level student pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Graphics, Digital Media, Game Design or related field.
Portfolio required: Your resume must include a link to your online portfolio/website where samples of your work can be viewed.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own housing and transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2019 - August/September 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company, Ltd Payroll Services, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company, Ltd Payroll Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.