ILMxLAB Technical Art SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10026229 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Dec. 22, 2022
ILMxLAB builds immersive experiences for Virtual and Augmented Reality and other emerging platforms. Our mission is to tell stories in new ways that leverage real-time graphics on ultra high-end hardware. We combine techniques from film VFX production with techniques from the video game industry to produce real-time experiences of the highest fidelity.
We are looking for a real-time Technical Art Supervisor to supervise a team of exceptional artists by both personally setting the bar in terms of skill-level, and managing each artist’s individual performance. This role is responsible for establishing the techniques and processes that bridge the technology gap between experienced artists and programmers through the implementation of technical visual aspects of the experience and implementation of tools to efficiently facilitate the creation of art assets with computer software, and the porting of those assets through the pipeline.
Highly Skilled, Artistic Vision, Performance Management are key words for the Technical Art Supervisor.
What You'll Do
- Supervise a team of real-time Technical Artists and VFX Artists to accomplish ILMxLAB’s mission. Develop and hone the team’s skills to continuously raise the quality bar.
- Set the discipline’s standard for artistic and technical excellence, efficiency and performance by creating exemplary VFX and Technical Art (tools, shaders, optimizations, etc.) that meet project requirements, and providing training and guidance to direct reports.
- Work closely with artistic directors and project leadership to achieve the artistic vision of the Art Director/VFX Supervisor and Experience Design Supervisor.
- Oversee the more technical rendering aspects of projects and troubleshoot technical rendering bugs.
- Collaborate with tools engineers to develop appropriate art pipelines, scripts, and plug-ins necessary to ensure the high productivity of the designers and artists. When the development of systems is required, contribute to the visual prototyping of tools, as well as R&D with systems programmers.
- Work with Producers in the planning stages of proposed projects to advise on the scope of the work and resource requirements, and make recommendations accordingly. Work with production to provide task estimates, track progress, and solve production issues that arise.
- Establish best practices and workflow for the discipline, and partner with other discipline supervisors to establish cross-functional workflow with other disciplines.
- Through continuing hands-on work on projects, maintain deep knowledge and user experience on workflow and tools. Innovate discipline workflow and keep up to date on new tools/applications/trends in the industry.
- Partner with Talent Resource Managers on talent planning and casting artists to project assignments. Act as hiring manager and liaise with the Recruiting team when new staff are needed. Assist resource management in evaluating potential third-party production partners and collaborate with new partners to establish workflows.
- Engage in regular conversations with artists to give performance feedback, facilitate ownership over the artists’ respective specialties, gauge individuals’ interests and support their career aspirations, including cross-functional skill-building. Perform management duties such as annual performance reviews.
- Set the cultural tone & reinforce positive behavior within your group. Work with studio leadership to define and continually refine and shape ILMxLAB’s culture.
- Define the discipline’s ‘Lead Artist’ project role per project. Help project leads solve scope, workflow, etc. issues throughout the project as needed.
- Speak on behalf of the discipline in technology development discussions to ensure that new development aligns with the discipline’s strategy and workflow.
What We're Looking For
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in game development, digital art, computer graphics, game design, or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years experience in game development as a Technical Artist or Effects Artist and a minimum of 3 shipped/released AAA titles as a Lead artist
- Experience with being responsible for performance optimization while finalizing a AAA product
- Experience supervising and mentoring artists and helping them develop and grow their skills
- Artistic eye with advanced understanding of the creation & integration of 3D art
- Advanced working knowledge of all the DCC standard software (Maya, Houdini, Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter/Designer)
- Excellent technical knowledge and familiarity with AAA game engines, particularly Unreal Engine
- Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting
- Experience in tools and pipeline engineering utilizing Python, PySide/PyQt, and Maya API/Mel scripting
- Experience with source control via Perforce or equivalent
- Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, artistic direction and changes
- Experience leading artists to meet deadlines and mentoring artists to help them develop and grow their skills
- Strategic and analytical thinker with exceptional execution and problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent communication skills, especially with regards to illustrating technical processes
- Experience in and passion for real-time graphics and content creation for emerging platforms (XR, etc.)
- Here are some additional skills and experience that would add to your preparedness for this role:
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent experience programming in C++
- Extensive portfolio with examples of professional work (e.g. art, scripts, tools, simulations, etc.)
- People-management experience
- Experience being responsible for outsourced work
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications*
The hiring range for this position in San Francisco is $160,100 to $200,100 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.