ILMxLAB Technical Artist (Look Dev) San Francisco, CAApply NowApply Later Job ID ooewefw6 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jan. 26, 2021
We are looking for a tech artist who is passionate about bringing the latest technical trends in real-time development to their craft, and who reflects the innovative spirit and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Look Dev Technical Artist is a unique talent whose creative and technical expertise ideally includes high-end CG production in addition to game engines. Someone who is equally comfortable working with other artists as they are with engineers. We are looking for that special someone who strives to maximize the visual and technical quality of look and shader development.
What you’ll do
- Create shaders and textures, including natural environmental shaders, VFX shaders, character shaders
- Collaborate with Leads and the Art Director to ensure a consistent style and quality across all shaders
- Partner with character and environment artists on asset look development, creating UV’s, textures, and materials
- Define work and provide time estimates for look and shader development
- Develop and improve existing technologies to maximize the quality bar of shaders, both visually and technically
- Standardize development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders combining industry-standard content creation tools and Unreal Engine
- Facilitate communication and collaboration with the Art & Engineering teams, and ensure that goals and best practices for both are represented
- Take direction from supervisors as well as demonstrate autonomy and time management
- Follow emerging trends in game engines and real-time technologies and evaluate their impact on our pipeline and workflows
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of experience as a Shader, Look Dev or Technical Artist in film and/or AAA game development
- Strength working with AAA games engines like Unreal Engine or equivalent
- Experience with programming in HLSL, C++ as well as familiarity with linear algebra
- Strength using Substance Designer/Painter
- Strength using standard art packages like Maya and Photoshop for modeling, texturing, lighting, and shading
- Detailed understanding of shader techniques and optimization applied to real-time graphics
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Experience implementing 3D work directly into the engine
- Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines. Works well with direction, but also is self-motivated and will seek out or devise solutions to unexpected challenges
- Experience or interest in VR and AR
- Portfolio of realistic, high-quality real-time shader work
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.