ILMxLAB Technical Artist San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID ob6D7fwL Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 10, 2018
*Remote Work Option Available for the rest of 2020, with potential to relocate Bay Area where this role will eventually be based*
We’re on a mission: building the future. We’re working in this crazy-fun, hybridized fusion of entertainment where exceptionally high-end (previously pre-rendered) VFX meets interactive, immersive stories. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds where we endeavor to raise the bar for experiences and visuals as high as we possibly can. As if making compelling movies and games wasn’t hard enough in isolation! Don’t get us wrong, we’re not complaining about the challenges. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative and highly technical work environment. If that sounds interesting, jump in. We still believe in picking up hitchhikers.
Our team is growing. We are looking for talented, driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of immersive stories. Have a look at the description below.
If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
- Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity while ensuring optimal performance.
- Standardize and improve development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, asset streaming, collisions, and interactions.
- Partner with engineering team to understand, define and manage project technical requirements and project asset production.
- Assist artists and designers via tool development, and in concept testing of new ideas, and building of rapid prototypes
- Look/dev passes of fog, lighting, post-processes and other VFX for scene / level. Actively participate in optimizations, identify, triage, and fix bugs as required.
Required Skills / Experience
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist - or equivalent capacity - in 3D game development Strong art skills with experience and deep understanding of modeling, texturing, animation, & lighting for games.
- Maya: in-depth knowledge, experience with the API (Python or C++), strong scripting skills in Python/PyMel.
- Unreal: extensive experience working with UE scripting and workflows: physically-based rendering, materials & real-time lighting
- Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR, strong understanding of PBR pipelines, and subsurface shaders
- Materials: experienced in the development, authoring & organization of efficient materials via the UE4 material editor
Desired Skills / Experience
- Passion for playing and making games, experience or interest in VR and AR VFX production / pipeline experience
- Proficient with profiling tools in the examination & diagnosis of performance issues
- Experience with one or more of the following: Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox, Houdini, Mari, Unity
- Familiarity with C# and C++
- Interest and capacity to work with proprietary toolsets
**A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications**
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.