ILMxLAB VFX Artist - Expression of Interest San Francisco, CAApply Now Apply Later Job ID oDXGcfwc Location San Francisco, California, United States Business ILMxLAB Date posted May. 05, 2020
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a highly creative & highly technical environment that thrives on collaboration. If that sounds interesting, jump in! Our team is growing. We're looking for talented and driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of premium immersive stories. Virtual reality, augmented reality, real-time cinema, theme park entertainment and narrative based experiences - our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling as it’s never been done before!
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
- Collaborate with the dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual representation of characters while ensuring optimal performance.
- Develop VFX: fluids, fire, smoke, explosions, destruction - utilizing rigid/soft body dynamics, particles, and shaders
- Design and implementation of dynamic & compelling visual effects based on direction from the Art Director and Producer.
- Ensure that VFX design and implementation meets run-time and performance budgeting requirements.
- Preview work in engine & headset. Iterate, optimize and polish to quality bar and visual direction set by the creative leads.
- Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary; participate in project stand-ups, meetings, and reviews.
- Actively participate in concept testing of new ideas and building of rapid prototypes.
Required Skills / Experience:
- 4+ years experience as VFX artist in AAA console or PC dev, strong preference for history of less stylized, more visually realistic titles
- Experience working with Unreal 3 or 4, Photoshop and Maya to create real-time VFX
- Strong understanding of lighting, particle systems, texture/UV animation, sprite animation, dynamics and simulations, material setup, general workflow & tools
- Able to paint VFX textures from scratch and match an established style
- Experience creating and using real-time shaders
- Experience with modeling & physics for realistic hair and cloth
- Strong artistic & technical problem-solving skills, able to adapt, willing to learn new processes and technical skills.
Desired Skills / Experience:
- Basic understanding of game scripting.
- Unity, Crytek, Frostbite or other game engine development experience.
- Professional experience with dynamics and simulations packages: Houdini, Real Flow, FumeFX, etc.
- Experience or interest in the creation of VR & AR experiences
- Passion for playing and making games
- VFX production / pipeline experience
* A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.