Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
KGO-TV 7 On Your Side Internship, Remote, Spring 2022Apply NowApply Later Job ID 874726BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business ABC Owned TV Stations Date posted Oct. 21, 2021
Interns at 7 on Your Side get hands-on experience working with a team that produces three consumer news segments each week day, reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers and directly helping the residents of the San Francisco Bay Area.
While interns get news production experience, they also learn essential office skills like organization, effective communication, follow-through, and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Overall, we hope to teach our interns how to find, craft, and distribute good stories while instilling a sense of teamwork and a desire to help those around us.
A day in the life…
As this role is now remote-only, this role will focus more heavily on research and data organization. Interns will need to keep up with daily consumer news with an eye for potential stories, with possible light writing assignments. Interns will also do research for producers’ stories, including web research, verifying data over the phone, and cross-checking multiple sources.
Interns will also help sift through viewer responses to find the most compelling stories for the producers, and compile data on the information gathered from the pool of viewer messages. (Familiarity with Microsoft office and Google Docs, and especially Excel / Google Sheets is highly recommended!)
Finally, interns will help consumer counselors as they answer viewer email and present the viewers’ issues to the relevant companies / agencies. . Patience, professionalism, and clear communication essential!
What you bring to the role…
- Successful interns will have a strong story sense, great attention to detail, the ability to interrogate information and conduct effective research, good organizational and time management skills, and the ability to follow through.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and work effectively with different personality types.
- Working experience in Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs and Google Sheets, Zoom, Slack.
- Proficient in creating and maintaining spreadsheets in Excel
- Strong general research and organization skills
- Patience, professionalism, and clear communication essential
- Undergraduate students in their Junior or Senior year or recent graduates
- Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing.
- Familiarity with PowerPoint and Google Slides
- Familiarity with Microsoft office and Google Docs, and especially Excel / Google Sheets is highly recommended
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- All candidates must be available from January 2022 through May/June 2022
- All candidates must be available to work 20-24 hours per week during a Monday through Sunday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor, and could include nights, weekends and holidays)
- All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
- All candidates must be able to work in the San Francisco office and provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with KGO Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
KGO Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.