Lead Game Designer - Games and Interactive ExperiencesApply NowApply Later Job ID 844250BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Sep. 14, 2021
In this role, you will provide clear and concise editorial feedback on game proposals, documents, and builds. You will help conceive, develop, and communicate creative possibilities for games based on upcoming and existing Lucasfilm properties by encouraging the creative exploration of our characters, worlds, and stories while retaining their authenticity and appeal.
This Creative works with both internal and external creative teams to conceive, develop, and present game design approaches. You will collaborate with key stakeholders within Lucasfilm throughout development in order for our products and experiences to deliver against their goals.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative thinker, and game designer that can draw upon their background as both a developer and gamer.
- Provide game design direction, guidance, and support for projects to ensure a high level of execution on the genre, platform, and target demographics while meeting our brand requirements.
- Establish and articulate game design and narrative best practices, processes, and procedures to be utilized during production.
- Provide editorial review for external game concepts, providing actionable feedback on game design and creative content. Identify potential areas of risk affecting product quality and timeliness.
- Provide brand guidance to licensing partners balancing the needs of the game with the authenticity of licensed IP.
- Analyze existing and upcoming franchise opportunities to identify the key brand pillars and game-able moments.
- Act as a point of contact for game design issues on projects.
- Deep dive into core game mechanics and game play loops, and communicate these systems in both written and verbal form, including the ability to provide detailed reviews of Game Design Documentation.
- Research and identify new gaming trends, techniques, and processes that can inspire or be utilized by our partners.
- 5+ yrs experience in creative development/design of Console/Mobile/PC games or other entertainment.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative creative environment, working closely with Producers, Artists, and Senior Management.
- Experience leading a team of designers, overseeing the necessary distribution of work while bearing the responsibility of the team's deliverables.
- Track record of designing, developing, and shipping high-quality interactive games with solid experience in product development from concept to completion is required.
- Ability to make confident, intelligent, and difficult decisions that reflects a solid understanding of a products goals and strategies.
- Previous experience interfacing with game developers, understanding team structures and roles, production pipelines, and common production challenges.
- Ability to review and create game design documentation including core game systems, game mechanics, interface design, and narrative content.
- Detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects at different stages of development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Online, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Online is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.