Pipeline Engineer II, ContentApply NowApply Later Job ID 938512BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Mar. 03, 2022
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB’s immersive experiences like Vader Immortal and Tales from the
Galaxy’s Edge, as well as virtual production using ILM’s StageCraft for The Mandalorian and other TV shows and movies.
- Implement, maintain, support and contribute design input tools and systems to make the production content creation process at ILM as efficient as possible, leveraging ILM’s technology infrastructure across Windows and Linux environments
- Implement, maintain, support and contribute design input tools and systems that interface with ILM’s film production pipeline to leverage film assets for real-time productions in ILMxLAB, Virtual Art Department and ILM Virtual Production
- Implement, maintain, support and contribute design input tools and systems that assist in the authoring of content that encourages best practices and re-use across story-world franchises
- Implement, maintain, support and contribute design input artist-facing tools for ILM Virtual Production, ILMxLAB and Virtual Art Department artistsDesign and implement solutions to track asset metadata and to automate asset transfers using standard asset interchange formats like USD, FBX, Alembic and MaterialX
- Maintain and support software products released to production
- Provide front-line support for end-users and assist with technical issues, coach sysm use and raise any usability or bugs with the Pipeline team to resolve
- Collaborates with the ADG DevOps and other ILM technology departments build scalable and robust systems for all ILMxLAB, Virtual Production and Virtual Art Department productions
- Creates and maintains clear and concise documentation outlining the use of products and solutions in production
- Participate in special projects as needed
- Good understanding of software engineering best practices, engineering trends, emerging products and the role of the pipeline engineering team in VFX, feature Animation or AAA games production
- Good understanding of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Good understanding of source control management systems like Git, Perforce, SVN, etc
- Good understanding of the Python programming language and standard python libraries
- Good understanding or awareness of computer graphics interchange formats like USD, FBX, MaterialX, Alembic, etc
- Good understanding in one or more production Digital Content Creation (DCC) tools like Unreal Engine, Maya, 3DS Max, Substance, Houdini, Blender, etc
- Good understanding of developing software in Linux or Windows environments
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks.
- A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
- A passion for creating efficient and stable workflows that allow artists to focus on content creation
- Excellent communication skills, able to work as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent professional experience
- 4-7 years of relevant experience
- Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, immersive, film, commercials or television/episodical
- Familiarity on how assets ought to be authored for real-time game engines
- Familiarity shipping C/C++ software to production
- Familiarity with production tracking solutions like Shotgun/ShotGrid or Ftrack
- Familiarity with render farm queue management solutions like Deadline or OpenCue
- Familiarity developing for augmented and virtual reality experiences and understanding of the constraints that performance dependent real-time experiences have on content creation techniques
- Familiarity developing applications using Qt, PyQt or PySide in Python 2 or Python 3 environments
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.