Pipeline Engineer IIIApply NowApply Later Job ID 7114099320220206 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Jul. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Lucasfilm Advanced Development Group (ADG) is looking for Software Engineers to join our content pipeline team. As Content Pipeline Engineer III at the ADG, you will be responsible for implementing and supporting the production workflow processes and component tools that push the boundaries of ILM’s Virtual Production tools and empower the creation of Disney’s Metaverse.
What you’ll do
- Design, implement and maintain tools and systems to make the production content creation process at ILM as efficient as possible, leveraging ILM’s technology infrastructure across Windows and Linux environments
- Design, implement and maintain tools and systems that interface with ILM’s film production pipeline to leverage film assets for real-time productions in ILMxLAB, Virtual Art Department and ILM Virtual Production
- Design, implement and maintain tools and systems that assist in the authoring of content that encourages best practices and re-use across story-world franchises
- Design, implement and maintain artist-facing tools for ILM Virtual Production, ILMxLAB and Virtual Art Department artistsDesign and implement solutions to track asset metadata and to automate asset transfers using standard asset interchange formats like USD, FBX, Alembic and MaterialX
- Maintain and support software products released to production
- Provide front-line support for end-users and assist with technical issues, coach system use and raise any usability or bugs with the Pipeline team to resolve
- Collaborates with the ADG DevOps and other ILM technology departments build scalable and robust systems for all ILMxLAB, Virtual Production and Virtual Art Department productions
- Creates and maintains clear and concise documentation outlining the use of products and solutions in production
- Participate in special projects as needed
What we’re looking for
- Strong understanding of the following:
- Software engineering best practices, engineering trends, emerging products and the role of the pipeline engineering team in VFX, feature Animation or AAA games production
- The software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Source control management systems like Git, Perforce, SVN, etc
- Python programming language and standard python libraries
- Computer graphics interchange formats like USD, FBX, MaterialX, Alembic, etc
- Developing software in Linux or Windows environments
- Good understanding in one or more production Digital Content Creation (DCC) tools like Unreal Engine, Maya, 3DS Max, Substance, Houdini, Blender, etc
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexibility and confidence to handle a variety of tasks.
- A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
- A passion for creating efficient and stable workflows that allow artists to focus on content creation
- Excellent communication skills, able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent professional experience
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, immersive, film, commercials or television/episodical
- Preferred Skills
- Familiarity on how assets ought to be authored for real-time game engines
- Familiarity shipping C/C++ software to production
- Familiarity with production tracking solutions like Shotgun/ShotGrid or Ftrack
- Familiarity with render farm queue management solutions like Deadline or OpenCue
- Familiarity developing for augmented and virtual reality experiences and comprehension of the constraints that performance dependent real-time experiences have on content creation techniques
- Familiarity developing applications using Qt, PyQt or PySide in Python 2 or Python 3 environments
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.