San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 877137BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Oct. 27, 2021
The Lucasfilm Advanced Development Group (ADG) is looking for Software Engineers to join our content pipeline team who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
As Software Engineer at the ADG, you will be responsible for designing and developing the workflow processes and infrastructure that empowers the creation of immersive entertainment experiences and real-time innovation research at the ADG, ILMxLAB and ILM Virtual Art Departments.
- Develop processes that interface with Industrial Light & Magic (ILM)’s film production pipeline to leverage film assets for real-time productions
- Design and implement systems to allow us to track asset versions and to automate asset transfers using open standard asset interchange formats like USD, FBX, Alembic and MaterialX
- Interface with the ADG DevOps team to build scalable and robust systems for all ADG and ILMxLAB and Virtual Art Department productions
- Provide production support for released software solutions
- Special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in, or professional equivalent to, Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years relevant experience (7+ years of experience -- senior role)
- Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, immersive experiences, film, commercials or television/episodical
- Strong Python engineering skill-set leveraging standard python libraries
- Experience architecting Python packages for studio-wide use
- Experience building microservice architectures or RESTful API interfaces with frameworks such as Flask or Django
- Experience with message brokering with RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Familiarity with renderfarm queue management solutions like Deadline or OpenCue
- Keen sense of processes that ought to be automated versus those that require manual intervention
- Experience developing software in Linux or Windows environments
- Holistic problem solver who understands art and digital asset production pipeline for film or games and strives for production efficiency
- Comfort with command line interfaces like BASH and TCSH
- Excellent communication skills, able to work as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
- Strong Perforce experience
- A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
- Familiarity with VFX and game DCCs like Unreal Engine, Maya,3DS Max or Substance and how these applications can be extended to support artist workflows
- Familiarity with visual effects, feature animation or AAA game content pipelinesExperience with production database systems (MySQL, Postgres or NoSQL equivalents)
- Experience with remote task orchestration with technologies such as Kubernetes or Apache Mesos
- Experience configuring CD and CI systems such a Jenkins, TeamCity and remote build systems
- A curiosity about Machine Learning and its applications in real-time production environments
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.