Principal Product Designer, Disney+ Visual
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 771444BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jan. 19, 2021
Job Summary:Disney+ is changing entertainment. Our mission is simply to build high-quality, innovative experiences that connect people with the content they love. It’s an incredibly exciting time to work in streaming media, and to work specifically on Disney+, which just celebrated its first year in-market. The design team has a pivotal role in the development of the product, giving form to new ideas that continuously improve and evolve Disney+ for our viewers.
Responsibilities:As a Principal Product Designer, you will focus on the total content discovery and playback experience.
You are a primary individual contributor and leader of project teams, innovating on a variety of UX features that showcase our world-class content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. As such, the role requires a rock solid foundation in visual design, branded experiences, presentation design, and storytelling.
The role reports to the Senior Director of Design in San Francisco, and you will be a part of a dynamic product design team that spans San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, and Amsterdam.
As a Principal you will:
- Conceive, create, and supervise inspiring, high-quality content experiences across a wide variety of platforms/devices.
- Follow a user-centered, evidence-backed, design process, understanding real users motivations, behaviors and goals. We listen to our viewers, and let their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Lead as a subject matter expert for the rest of the design team, providing design guidance, documenting and socializing best practices
- Provide thought leadership to develop the right design strategy, and use UX methodologies to bring value to the user and the business
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of device platform best practices and guidelines.
- Adhere to and help shape our design system and brand guidelines, ensuring a high-level of quality, establishing a consistent look and feel throughout the product, and only diverging when the need is validated
- Collaborate with peers in research, product, engineering, and marketing on cross-functional projects from start to finish.
- 10+ years experience as a designer working on consumer products.
- A high level of creative craftsmanship, translating strategies, theories and design principles into inspiring concepts and successful executions.
- A strong interest in visual storytelling, and an innate curiosity about people and their relationship to entertainment.
- The discipline to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short and long-term needs, adept at removing roadblocks and rebalancing as needed.
- A growth mindset - you see opportunity in ambiguity.
- Comfort in scaling and as needed, ability to recruit talent that meet and exceed the DSS talent bar.
- A sense of determination - leading product development with new ideas based on a strong sense of our customers, their goals, our content, and our value proposition.
- An ease in presenting design work to a variety of audiences.
- A passion for evolving the design practice – its people, processes, and tools.
- Experience with various design tools - Sketch, Abstract, Invision, prototyping tools.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.