Principal Product Designer, Motion Prototyping
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 791559BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted May. 25, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services is looking for an accomplished Principal Product Designer who is passionate about user experience & building intuitive UI interaction. The role involves utilizing motion design and prototyping tools to build out concepts from existing design systems, as well as exploring concepts to improve UX through prototyping and motion. The position also involves working directly with front end developers - translating concepts and delivering assets for production.
The team works across web, tablet, mobile & connected devices ( tv ) - providing high fidelity interactive prototypes for proof of concepts, executive demos for presentations and live events, as well as providing support for product UX research.
Responsibilities:As a Principal Product Designer with the Motion & Prototype team, you will focus on the total product experience, across all platforms. You are a primary individual contributor and leader of project teams, innovating on a variety of motion & UX interactive features within our world-class streaming products Disney+, Star+ & Hulu. In addition to expert level Motion Design skills, the role also requires a rock solid foundation in visual design, branded experiences, presentation design, and storytelling. The role reports to the Director of Motion & Prototype, Product Design in San Francisco, and you will be a part of a dynamic product design team that spans San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, and Amsterdam.
As a Principal you will:
- Conceive, create, and supervise inspiring, high-quality motion focused experiences across a wide variety of platforms/devices.
- Follow a user-centered, evidence-backed, design process, understanding real users motivations, behaviors and goals. We listen to our viewers and let their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Lead as a subject matter expert for the motion / prototype design team, providing motion design guidance, documenting specs and socializing best practices.
- Provide thought leadership to develop the right motion design strategy, and use UX methodologies to bring value to the user and the business
- Oversee and maintain motion specifications and documentation for implementation and reference.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of device platform best practices and guidelines.
- Adhere to and help shape our design system and brand guidelines, ensuring a high-level of quality, establishing a consistent look and feel throughout the product, and only diverging when the need is validated
- Collaborate with peers in research, product, engineering, and marketing on cross-functional projects from start to finish.
- 8+ years of design experience including all three: User Experience, UI, and Visual Design
- Experience providing leadership and direction for team & ability to collaborate across org.
- Strong understanding of complex UX/UI behaviors and interactions.
- Experience concepting and designing micro-animations that enrich interactions and clarify interfaces.
- Expert Visual Designer capable of preparing graphics for prototypes.
- Strong Understanding of Motion principles for UI - Web, Mobile, TV, and Gaming Consoles.
- Create detailed specs of motion for developers and prototyping teams.
- Experience with presenting concepts to visual design team, providing explanations and discovery findings.
- End to end video production: from storyboarding & motion prototyping, to compression & delivery.
- Understanding of focus and hierarchy in UI
- Self-starter who does not have to be supervised in order to produce results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and frequent requirement changes and communication with stakeholders.
- Demo Reel / Online samples of previous motion design UI/UX work is required.
- Experience working in Principle, Framer, Proto.io & InVision
- Expert level skills in Adobe Suite: Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD
- Expert level use of Sketch / Abstract / Figma
- Extensive experience with video editing & compression tools
- Working understanding of HTML, JS, React, CSS
- Advanced knowledge & experience creating UI Prototypes
- Passion to work with teams to bring product experiences to ‘life’ !
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.