Product Manager, Native Video Player
San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 776167BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Mar. 19, 2021
Job Summary:We seek an enthusiastic and experienced product manager to lead our efforts in evolving the world-class native video player used by Disney+ and other Disney brand partners. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Media Product, and part of the rapidly growing Media Product team, the job location is San Francisco or New York.
The video player is the heart of the streaming experience for our users, and Disney’s aggressive growth strategy means we are extending our reach to more customers, on more devices, world-wide, every day. Keeping that experience compelling, satisfying, and familiar, regardless of what device is in use, is the highest priority. You will work closely with counterparts in engineering and product management, as well as with executive teams, to ensure the product roadmap fulfills business, technical, and consumer priorities for target platforms, such as set-top boxes, game consoles, and other consumer devices supported by the native video player.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical, resourceful, team oriented, and will have an ability to work independently under time constraints to meet deadlines. You will have a proven track record in taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment. The ideal candidate seeks and receives input from a wide range of sources, makes data-driven decisions, obsesses about our customers, forms strong yet loosely held opinions, and builds trust with all areas of the business. We value passionate product leadership that drives with discipline and attention to detail.
- Work with stakeholders to identify product goals, define the product roadmap, and maintain open lines of communication with related teams
- Successfully achieve product objectives by managing through challenges and removing roadblocks for the team
- Take a data-driven approach to constantly improve the product
- Refine measurement and reporting frameworks to communicate status to neighbors and stakeholders, as appropriate
- Ensure player KPIs meet/exceed service targets
- Work with device and distribution partner teams to coordinate uses of the player SDK in partner-led development projects
- Collaborate with engineering teams to translate product requirements into actionable stories using an Agile product development process
- Collaborate with quality assurance teams to translate acceptance criteria and ensure maximum test coverage
- Generally serve as product champion
- You have 2-4 years experience in product management within video streaming or related industries
- You have a strong high-level technical understanding of video player components, including content protection, ad insertion, instrumentation, and analytics
- You have demonstrated an ability to assimilate information from a wide variety of sources, to build new domain knowledge
- You demonstrate strong strategic aptitude, clear thinking and communicating, and great decision making
- You have an obsession with making customers happy, and strong opinions about good customer experience
- You have demonstrated ability to use data to drive decisions and back up assumptions and recommendations
- You have a strong attention to detail, yet with the ability to take a step back and understand the bigger picture
- You’ve demonstrated successful experience building and executing product roadmaps aligned with business requirements and technology capabilities in global businesses
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills
- You’re scrappy and resourceful, with no fear of getting your hands dirty and an impulse to be the first to tackle any challenge.
- You’ve demonstrated ability to work with engineering teams to discuss technical concepts, make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks, and evaluate new ideas
- You know when to escalate issues expediently and accurately when blockers arise
- Video player product management experience
- Experience with streaming media protocols such as HLS or DASH
- Knowledge of relevant audio and video standards
- Experience working on C/C++, Rust, or embedded system software projects
- Knowledge of SoC/STB ecosystem and associated development lifecycles
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.