Production Engineer (Animation Software)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 800035BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted May 27, 2021
Lucasfilm Animation is the creator of the Emmy award-winning animation series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Star Wars: The Bad Batch, an original series now streaming on Disney+.
We are looking for engineers for our Lucasfilm Animation technology team who reflect the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
The Production Engineer is responsible for helping us advance the state of the art in previsualization technology for major animation projects. The Lucasfilm engineering teams develop ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. The group gains strength by working side-by-side with digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film and tv production environment.
We’re looking for engineers with experience in real-time visualization, user-interface design, and/or complex systems integration. We need people with a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists, and with the drive to put them into action on our upcoming slate
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers across Lucasfilm, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists at Lucasfilm Animation.
- Develop applications, systems, and tools that support innovative workflows incorporating state-of-the-art real-time technology for previsualization.
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces and pipeline tools that scale to high volume, fast-paced animation production.
- Work within, extend, and support Lucasfilm’s proprietary previsualization software system, Zviz, that seamlessly integrates with the ILM’s StageCraft virtual production toolset.
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Previous experience in Animation, VFX, or similar digital production facility or related software development company is desirable.
- Proficiency with real-time workflows and previsualization technology is desirable.
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven animation production environment.
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice.
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and understand artists’ needs.
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver.
- Expert knowledge of programming in Python and C++ on Linux.
- Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base.
- Experience with rendering APIs and/or Linux audio programming is desirable
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.