Production Engineer (Unreal Pipeline)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10001110 Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Nov. 23, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Industrial Light & Magic is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Virtual Art Department content pipeline team. As a Pipeline Engineer at ILM, you will be responsible for designing and developing the workflow processes and the component tools that empower the creation of immersive entertainment experiences and real-time innovation research at the ILM Virtual Art Department.
What You’ll Do
- Developing processes that interface with ILM’s film production pipeline to leverage film assets for real-time productions
- Develop artist-facing tools for the ILM Virtual Art Department artists that empower their creativity in their favourite DCC packages
- Design and implement systems to allow us to track asset metadata and to automate asset transfers using standard asset interchange formats like Alembic, FBX, USD and MaterialX
- Interface with DevOps teams to build scalable and robust systems for the ILM Virtual Art Department
- Provide production support for released software solutions
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in, or professional equivalent to, Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, film, commercials or television/episodical
- Strong Python scripting skill-set using standard python libraries
- Good knowledge of visual effects, feature animation or AAA game content pipelines
- Experience working with and developing workflows in Unreal Engine or Unity
- Experience developing software tools for Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max, or Houdini using Python packages such as PyQt and PySide
- Experience utilising large proprietary or third party APIs and SDKs to further extend the feature-set of a DCC or application
- Familiar with computer graphics interchange formats such as Alembic, FBX, USD and MaterialX and their role in a content pipeline
- Development experience with the Unreal Engine or Unity and are comfortable utilizing 3D mathematics to solve problems (linear algebra, vector math)
- Experience developing software in Linux or Windows environments
- Holistic problem solver who understands art and digital asset production pipeline for film or games and strives for production efficiency
- Comfort with command line interfaces like BASH and TCSH
- Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
- A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
- Nice to have:
- Familiarity on how assets ought to be authored for real-time game engines
- Familiarity developing tools that interface with proprietary production database systems (MySQL, Postgres, Oracle or NoSQL equivalents)
- Familiarity shipping C/C++ software to production
- Familiarity with production tracking solutions like Shotgun or Ftrack
- Familiarity or experience with Perforce version control software
- Experience developing for real-time applications and understands the constraints as they pertain to content creation techniques
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.