Production Engineer (Unreal Tools) San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID oXhGffwT Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted May. 26, 2021
We are looking for an Unreal Tools Engineer who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collective mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
As an ILM Unreal Tools Engineer, you will design and develop new tools and techniques for real-time content creation in the Unreal game engine. You will deliver software, processes, and workflows that empower content creators within the Virtual Art Department. Tools you design and code you write will have a direct impact on the day to day efficiency of the Virtual Art Department team, and ultimately contribute to overall project success.
What you’ll do
- Work with ILM and Lucasfilm creatives and supervision to design, develop and maintain tools that drive the Virtual Art Department workflow
- Design and develop tool sets that create an exceptional user experience for scout and review sessions with clients, leveraging core engineering solutions to maximize data tracking and review feedback
- Work with core engineering teams to convert prototype workflows into robust production-ready solutions
- Debug technical issues quickly and promptly, escalating to core engineering teams when needed
- Assist with and manage specific tool and technical requests from production supervision and clients
- Create and maintain documentation and tutorials on how to use products and tools
- Observe daily workflows and reviews to identify problems, bottlenecks, and create/propose new tools/solutions
What we’re looking for
- Previous experience working in a real time/virtual production environment, preferably at a VFX or animation studio
- Production experience using real time game engines like Unreal Engine or Unity and can exhibit knowledge of game engine and editor best practices
- Strong comprehension of visual scripting systems like the Unreal Engine’s Blueprint system
- Production experience writing tools in C++ and Python
- Exceptional communicator, able to synthesize feedback from key creatives and production supervision and communicate back to core engineering teams
- Working experience with the Perforce version control system
- Comfortable working under pressure within tight deadlines
- Experience working in a previsualization, virtual art department, virtual production or motion capture production environment
- Comfortable programming in C++ and building Unreal with Microsoft Visual Studio
- Knowledge of how data flows between a Virtual Art Department, Previs, Editorial and how it can be tracked robustly
- Familiarity with digital content creation packages like Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance Painter, Blender, etc
- Familiarity with computer graphics interchange file formats like FBX, USD, MaterialX and Alembic
- Familiarity with production management database systems like Shotgun or FileMaker
- Familiarity with editorial workflows
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.