R&D Engineer - Image-Based Capture (Multiple Locations) - Expression of Interest San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID op4ucfwT Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 07, 2020
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
This position can be based in either of our San Francisco or Vancouver studios.
We are looking for engineers for our image-based capture R&D team, to help us develop advanced tools for computer vision, motion tracking and geometric reconstruction for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for engineers with experience in computer vision, image-based motion tracking, multi-view geometric reconstruction, facial capture, and match-animation. We need people with strong backgrounds in computer vision, geometric processing, and machine learning, with a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists and the drive to put them into action on our upcoming slate of Hollywood blockbusters.
Our motion capture and photomodeling tools have won several Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. The technology we’re actively developing include such things as:
- Markerless facial motion capture, using machine learning and computer vision.
- Skin-tight human body tracking.
- Lidar set reconstruction
Who We Are
Industrial Light & Magic, founded in 1975 by George Lucas, has created some of the most iconic moments in motion picture history. From Star Wars to Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, Avengers, The Irishman, theme park rides and interactive experiences, ILM continues to expand the possibilities of what visual entertainment can be.
ILM’s R&D and Core Pipeline groups develop the ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. ILM’s innovations have won 31 Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. Today, we are 70+ visually-minded software engineers, working side-by-side with over a thousand digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film production environment, across studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney.
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, and Singapore.
- Develop innovative algorithms and techniques, based on the latest research in computer vision and image-based geometric reconstruction.
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production.
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline; collaborate with external organizations such as Disney Research, and with commercial software vendors.
- Work within and extend and support ILM’s proprietary software systems.
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production support.
Education / Experience
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production.
Required Skills / Competencies
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment.
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice.
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and understand artists’ needs.
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver.
Required Technical Skills
- Expert knowledge of programming in Python and/or C++ on Linux.
- Thorough knowledge of technology related to image-based motion tracking and photomodeling: image segmentation, lens models, optical flow, multi-view stereo reconstruction, etc.
- Good knowledge of open-source utilities and numerical libraries: OpenCV, Ceres, Dlib, Eigen, etc.
- Experience with visual effects software applications: Maya, 3DEqualizer, etc.
- Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.