Senior Manager, Data Architecture
San Francisco, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763236BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Aug. 05, 2020
Job Summary:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney’s international media operations and the Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Data is critical for Disney Streaming Services success. To gain and maintain our competitive advantage, we use our data assets to analyze user behavior, engagement and acquisition. To facilitate Data Analytics, we are building a scalable data analytics platform.
We are seeking a Sr. Manager for Data Architecture, to build and manage a diverse team of Data Modelers and Data Architects designing and implementing scalable data infrastructure to support our broader Data Science and Analytics organization. This team partners with product, analytics and engineering teams to architect, build and maintain our growing data warehousing and analytical insights and BI reporting environments. This leader will also build and grow this core function of our data team in support of our Disney Plus product vision. Collaborating across disciplines, you will identify new data sources; design and implement table structure, data products, ETL strategy, automation frameworks and scalable data pipelines.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders including data scientists, product managers, and software engineers
- Oversee a roadmap to meet cross-functional data needs, building shared goals and project plans
- Communicate the vision and path to successful execution for both peers and executive stakeholders
- Manage and mitigate projects risks, priorities and trade-offs while negotiating buy-in to deliver results
- Hire and retain top talent including nurturing their growth by building short- and long-term career paths
- Lead and manage daily scrum activities with your team, diving deep to help unblock their daily tasks
- Perform design reviews and put mechanisms in place for continually raising the bar for technical skills in the organization
- Guide the design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production
- Partner with stakeholders to establish and support delivery SLAs for key data sets
- Foster culture of high standards for data quality through expansion of frameworks, toolkits, etc.
- Own design, develop, and maintain ETL routines using tools such as Airflow and Jenkins
- Own data models, table designs, and publish sufficient metadata documentation to facilitate rapid data adoption
- Establish processes to instill operational excellence principles for project management, SDLC, data architectural design best practices, scalability, reliability, etc.
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- 3+ years in direct people management capacity
- Experience scaling and managing a team of 5+ members
- 5+ years’ work experience in building data warehousing environments. Strong background of data modeling principles including Dimensional modeling, data normalization principles etc.
- 5 + years’ experience using analytic SQL, working with traditional relational databases and/or distributed systems such as Spark/ Hadoop / Hive, BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift.
- 2+ years of experience programming languages (e.g. Python, R, bash).
- 2+ years of experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Strong project and program management experience in agile fast paced environments
- Experience with Snowflake cloud data platform (or similar ecosystem MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase)
- Familiarity with data exploration / data visualization tools like Tableau, Looker, Chartio, etc.
- Ability to think strategically, analyze, and interpret market and consumer information.
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal presentations.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical reasoning competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative or analytical field e.g. economics, mathematics, or computer science
- Advanced degree in quantitative or analytical field preferred
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.