Senior Manager – Data Science, Audience Insights
San Francisco, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 762553BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 19, 2020
Job Summary:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney’s international media operations and the Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Data scientists on the Engagement Analytics team are key partners to the Disney+ product teams- conducting statistical analysis, building models, and surfacing insights that enable these teams to create a world-class SVOD experience. As Senior Manager of the Audience Insights team, you will partner with a broad set of technical and cross-functional teams to understand audience behavior through advanced analysis, behavioral modeling, and audience segmentation.
- Modeling & Analysis: Develop models & analyze behavioral data to identify patterns, uncover opportunities, and create common understanding of how customers are interacting with the platform and content.
- Audience Segmentation: Develop heuristics, analytic, and modeling-based approaches to describing the Disney+ audience to support product, marketing, and content strategy use cases.
- Performance Reporting and Visualization: Be a partner for cross-functional stakeholders to understand how customers are interacting with the Disney+ product and what lens are useful in understanding variance in subscriber behavior. When a metric is ahead or behind expectations, dig in to derive meaningful actionable insights.
- Partnership: Partner closely with business stakeholders and collaborate with other data teams to identify and creatively address needs and opportunities.
- Leadership & Mentoring: Recruit and mentor staff to build a world-class data team
- 2+ years leadership experience (includes people management, mentoring interns, technical leadership, and project management)
- Have a demonstrated history of translating complex data sets into clear and actionable narratives and communicate opportunities and challenges to stakeholders
- Experience and aptitude to deliver high-quality solutions on short timelines
- 5+ years of hands-on experience designing, building, and evaluating practical machine learning solutions to solve business problems, preferably in the area of audience segmentation and understanding.
- 3+ years Python (or similar) and SQL
- Strong communication skills, for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity with data exploration and data visualization tools like Tableau or Looker preferred.
- Advanced degree (PhD or MS) in an analytical field or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.