Senior Manager Product Design, Lucasfilm - Licensed HardlinesApply NowApply Later Job ID 988229BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted May 31, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
- Manage an internal team to concept, design, prototype (including managing art-to-product, 3D modeling, sample creation, fit sessions, and electronic breadboards, where applicable) and deliver trend-right consumer centric product lines that feature market-leading innovation and great price/value for each tier of the value pyramid across all Hardlines categories
- Manage and mentor a team of product designers to develop product from concepts to final sample in a variety of Hardlines categories, ensuring product lines that deliver against strategic design visions for the overall product assortment
- Oversee and execute product and packaging approvals to ensure adherence to high quality standards in character execution, in-depth storytelling, color, material, form and function while maximizing profitability
- Develop and coach best-in-class design talent through consistent feedback on performance and provide regular development and coaching
- Identify new product trends, styles, technologies, and opportunities in Hardlines categories
- Collaborate and build strong partnerships with internal partners (Creative Design, Games, Publishing, Brand Merchandising, Licensing Commercialization, CBM, Legal, Business Affairs, Product Integrity, Integrated Retail, BPM, Public Affairs, D&I teams, Cultural Consultants) and external partners (Studio, Franchise Strategy, WDI) to design and approve all products
- Drive development of strong product lines that support brand strategies and accurately represent the core elements of the brand and story
- Champion innovation in product design and process implementation
- Manage, identify and deliver accurate reference and Style Guide assets and materials to licensees to ensure authentic and story-accurate product
- Collaborate with the greater product design and creative teams to drive up-front trends, overall creative direction and identify future areas of growth within the franchise and across product categories, ensuring product is appropriate to price point, target audience and distribution channel, and differentiated by category
- Manage design team to maintain development milestones and key deliverables
- Monitor competitors, product innovation and market dynamics
- Coordinate and execute line reviews and product presentation documents
- Manage multiple design projects, running simultaneously with varying levels of complexity
- 7+ years of related experience
- Extensive knowledge in Hardlines design and development (raw materials, plastic, textiles, print, pattern, graphic composition, 3D modeling, and manufacturing)
- Experience leading and managing a primary team, while also managing up to senior leaders and across with peers and partners
- Experience being a bridge between execution and strategy; to translate strategy into action
- Experience taking ownership of results
- Experience as a daily decision maker
- Experience influencing main partners
- Filter through complex issues, find solutions, gain support and implement change
- Solid familiarity with Lucasfilm entertainment properties
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong product design skills (e.g. 3D product design, technical design, sketching, creative application and manipulation of art, final mechanical art)
- Strong software skills (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (e.g. industrial design, toy design) or equivalent work experience
Additional Information:This job is located in San Francisco, CA.
Our Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes healthcare (medical/ vision / dental) and retirement savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our cast member benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Global Product Development and Creative, Inc., which is part of a business we call Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Global Product Development and Creative, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.