Senior Site Reliability Engineer
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 815548BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 18, 2021
Do you want to be part of a team that makes streaming magic through one of the most reliable streaming services in the World? Our SREs provide expert engineering services in cloud automation, and reliability engineering to all of our services that power streaming for Disney+, ESPN+, and more, home to 100 million+ subscribers and ESPN fight nights. We are passionate about our services running with maximum uptime and minimum latency so that our subscribers have the best streaming experience of all our content.
As a Senior engineer, you are looked at by your fellow team members as a ‘go to’ individual; you are someone who has a clear understanding of, and can thoroughly elaborate on SRE principles and best practices to a given audience.To be successful in this role you will continuously uphold and improve all the relevant reliability aspects for our services, with an increased focus on SLIs and SLOs, while raising the reliability of a variety of large scale user facing and internal services.
Teams are located in New York, San Francisco, Manchester UK, Poland, Amsterdam and more.
- Deploy and manage innovative modern cloud technologies using infrastructure-as-code, self-healing, and security automation patterns;
- Develop useful telemetry, alerts, and response to reduce Mean Time To Repair (MTTR);
- Collaborate and provide technical excellence within and across teams;
- Consult on best practices and develop tools to enable smooth adoptions of good service reliability practices and methods;
- Identify areas of improvement in reliability, efficiency, and operations;
- Build tools to help your SRE team quickly pinpoint, isolate and resolve issues related to infrastructure, platform services and applications;
- Continuously refine monitoring processes, configurations, and thresholds;
- Practice and promote sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- Develop runbooks and tools to streamline processes and shorten problem resolution time;
- Write code that improves scalability, performance, maintainability, and security;
- Add, tune and maintain alert configurations and documentation as needed;
- Operate in the high-pressure environment and troubleshoot complex issues across distributed applications quickly, while successfully handling multiple priorities;
- Cultivate full-team participation in high quality, thoughtful software;
- Develop and improve CI/CD processes to improve release cadence and success;
- Use Chaos Engineering principles and methodologies to test what you build under real-world conditions;
- Mentor SREs in technical and non-technical SRE responsibilities;
- Take primary responsibility for large (multi-person) efforts, including planning, execution, and training
- Creative and innovative outside the box thinking
- 5-7 years of experience in SRE, devops, technical operations, systems engineering, software engineering or related discipline
- Proficient, collaborative, & experienced in building reliable, scalable, enterprise systems
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Passionate and curious about ways to leverage technology while continually learning
- Ability to identify root-cause sources of instability in a high-traffic, large-scale distributed systems
- Experience in designing, building, and operating large-scale production systems
- Efficiently skilled with the use of containers in enterprise production environments (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, LXC, AWS ECS and EKS)
- Configuration management and orchestration (e.g. Terraform, Cloud Formation, Ansible)
- Comfortable in one or more of the following languages (Python, Java, Scala, Go, Rust, Ruby, or similar)
- Scripting languages like Ruby, Bash, PowerShell or Python;
- Skilled in Cloud/PaaS/SaaS Environments (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Compute)
- Hands-on experience using source control (Git, GitHub) and feature branching strategies
- Experience with continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI/CD, AWS CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline, Azure DevOps, Spinnaker)
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service;
- Possess expertise in scalable testing, automation, continuous integration frameworks and best practices;
- Experience in SDLC, distributed systems, networking, hardware, logistics and operations or capacity planning;
- UNIX/Linux administration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and security
- Experience with DevOps methodologies and/or SRE
- Experience with container orchestration systems, such as AWS ECS or Kubernetes
- Experience with monitoring and observability tooling such as Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana
- Experience with automating infrastructure, deployment and testing using tools like Cloudformation, Ansible or Terraform, and can explain the Infrastructure as Code paradigm
- Experience with Service Level Objectives and Error Budgets
- Experience with configuration management, such as Puppet and Ansible
- Understanding of the principles and methodologies behind Chaos Engineering
- Experience with software development in Java, Scala, etc
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering or Mathematics;
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.