Senior Systems Engineer (SF or LA) 2 LocationsApply NowApply Later Job ID ofoWdfww Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 05, 2020
We are looking for a Sr. Systems Administrator/Engineer who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that defines ILM.
This is a dynamic role that will see you engaged in troubleshooting issues as they are escalated from other teams and service owners while also participating in forward planning, innovation and automation for existing and new services.
This person communicates proactively and clearly and is capable of providing documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences. Working with both local and global ILM teams, you are comfortable administrating infrastructure and services no matter where these are based be it on-premises, remote data center or cloud.
The role is well suited for a self-starter with a cross-disciplinary mindset and DevOps-style approach.
What you’ll do
- Escalation point for high-priority, production-related issues
- Proactive and creative in identifying and addressing pain points through documentation, automation, scripting or redesigning existing infrastructure
- Design, build and administrate virtual and bare-metal infrastructure and associated services including desktop, server, storage and network-related infrastructure.
- Implement effective service monitoring, maintenance programs, and foundational system design with a global perspective.
- Help maintain security compliance and ensure that processes and procedures follow company and industry standards.
- Maintain documentation and processes around key infrastructure and services.
- Provide excellent support, including clear verbal and written communications to both technical and non-technical people.
- Participate in the activities of the local and global team, including development, support activities, and regular status and planning meetings.
- Proactively maintain and expand working knowledge of industry trends and technical developments in related areas.
What we’re looking forEducation/Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent degree or professional experience in a technical discipline.
- 4-5 years of experience in IT-related or other technical disciplines.
- 4-5 years of experience in designing, building and supporting systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
- Previous experience in VFX or similar production-driven environments is preferred.
- Focussed and personable team player.
- An effective communicator, who can both listen and engage and is able to diplomatically work with other teams and departments at a global scale.
- Must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and be able to break down and resolve complex problems.
- Able to break down complicated technical goals and projects into planned tasks and components.
- Strong customer service attitude and skills - passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through and owning issues to completion.
- Agile, flexible mindset with the ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
Required Technical Skills
- Administration and support of critical services and resources including configuration, licensing, monitoring, patching and updates.
- Ability to automate workflows and extend services via scripting through Bash/Shell, Python, PowerShell or other languages.
- Deployment and administration of cloud-based services and infrastructure including for compute and storage.
- Working with VMWare or other equivalent virtualization platforms in an enterprise environment, including hardware and software configuration, provisioning, orchestration and monitoring.
- Methodically troubleshooting and evaluating performance and service issues, including the ability to analyze and trace across multiple data inputs, logs and metrics.
- Administering and supporting a heterogeneous OS environment including Linux, Windows and macOS for both server and desktop.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about enterprise IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
- Excellent documentation skills, including writing for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Creating and supporting distributed scalable systems that are secure, fault-tolerant and reliable.
- Experience supporting production/customer critical systems
- Highly competent Linux administrator for both server and client side
- Remote desktop protocols and administration such as Teradici PCoIP
- Broad knowledge of storage architecture, protocols and administration
- Configuring network-attached storage including backup and caching
- Broad knowledge of network architecture, protocols and administration
- Configuring network switches including IP and VLAN allocation and management
- Build automation and configuration management
- Cloud-native technology, tools and frameworks
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.