Software Engineer I, SDETApply NowApply Later Job ID 963323BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Apr. 24, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
Come join our Quality Engineering team to improve the quality assurance of products from the ADG, ILMxLAB, and ILM’s Virtual Art Department (VAD) through automation. We automate testing for the entire software development lifecycle, from Unreal Automation System to web services and lots of components in between.
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB’s immersive experiences like Vader Immortal and Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge, as well as virtual production using ILM’s StageCraft for The Mandalorian and other TV shows and movies.
- Design, Implement, and maintain a self-service test automation framework that’s intimately linked into the delivery (build, release, and deployment) pipeline
- Recommend testing automation strategies and delivery best practices, and expose testing tooling to our customers to achieve these.
- Provide necessary status reports as needed
- Continually improve the quality hooks into the delivery process through automation as our stakeholders innovate with new technology
- Standardize procedures for repeatability, discoverability, and faster inception of a given project
- Build the foundation of delivery technology on easy-to-use and easy-to-discover self-service principles that we expose to the wider internal community of artists, testers, producers, and engineers.
- Develops, maintains and uses the quality assurance engineering aspects of the DevOps tool-suite in support of ongoing software deployment, maintenance, and development efforts.
- Participates in the development of various elements of the overall strategy and supports quality assurance through automation for the delivery pipeline.
- Develop and maintain quality assurance engineering strategy and frameworks.
- Participates in the documenting, maintaining, and using test automation to promote software from development environments through testing and into production environments, ensuring that each environment is correct and consistent.
- Provides day-to-day operation support for automated testing tools, repositories, and utilities currently deployed.
- Participates in the upgrade of deployed test automation tools.
- Use procedures and processes to provide organizational support to control project quality through defined automated testing strategies.
- Participates in the recommendations to -- or enhancements of -- test automation definitions.
- Participates in the implementation of automated testing strategies to support change management processes, addressing the end-to-end process and controls.
- Operates within the clearly defined structure of established test automation standards, practices and protocols.
- Participates in the development of test automation standards, practices, and protocols.
- Administer, control, and audit regular test automation throughout the SDLC.
- Attend formal and informal advanced training sessions as directed.
- Participates in the training of customers (artists and engineers) in automated testing tool use and defined build processes.
- May participate in mentoring junior team members.
- Participates in conversations about strategic operational goals for the ADG Quality Engineering organization.
- May participate in the recommendation of test automation philosophy, processes, and procedures that will be applied to all application development projects.
- Through troubleshooting, participates in identifying problems with the functionality and integrity of assigned applications and participates in developing solutions to a variety of test automation technical problems.
- Accountable for achieving high levels of personal operating efficiencies on assigned tasks.
- Anticipates and solves problems quickly and efficiently within the ADG and ILMxLAB organizational structure.
- Identifies, recommends and implements areas of process improvement.
- Communicate basic and occasionally semi-complex technical information in understandable terms for both technical and non-technical personnel to a variety of audiences.
- Communication with both internal and external contacts at peer levels to diagnose and resolve test automation and related application development problems.
- Interacts with peers, management, and senior level staff within other departments, units or functions regarding test automation issues and problems with assigned applications.
- As assigned, participates in interpreting specific aspects of test automation findings.
- Fair knowledge of trends, technology advances, new products, and best practices in automating testing processes and standards.
- Fair understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) or Application Lifecycle Management (ALM).
- Strong knowledge and experience with programming languages, relational databases, and configuration file formats.
- College degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 2-5 years experience in a related field.
- Passion for DevOps including but not limited to test automation and system automation.
- Passion for immersive media such as virtual, augmented, or mixed reality.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks.
- Experience using a continuous integration system.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a distributed team.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and then implement new techniques.
- Preferred Skills
- Unreal Engine, including C++ and Python code for test automation, C# and XML for build automation
- Kotlin, Java, and Maven for TeamCity configuration and integration of testing rigs
- Python for scripting for general automation
- Web and mobile app testing frameworks like Selenium and Appium
- Dockerfile and docker-compose syntax for container image creation.
- Windows and Linux administration
- Static analysis tools like linters, and comprehensive reporting tools like SonarQube
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.