Software Engineer II, BackendApply NowApply Later Job ID 946487BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Apr. 21, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Come join our Backend Engineering team to innovate on a collection of microservices destined for a multi-stage serverless cloud deployment alongside multiregion distributed servers at scale for Lucasfilm and ILMxLAB, the immersive entertainment division that is creating a unique storytelling experience for Disney’s metaverse.
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB’s immersive experiences like Vader Immortal and Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge, as well as virtual production using ILM’s StageCraft for The Mandalorian and other TV shows and movies.
- Design, Implement, and maintain backend microservices alongside distributed servers in a public cloud provider like AWS.
- Implement monitoring and alerting best practices through clear and precise logging standards, and expose monitoring tooling to our internal customers to allow them to achieve valuable insights..
- Provide necessary status reports as needed
- Continually improve the backend services through design recommendations to our stakeholders on how to innovate with new technology
- Standardize procedures for repeatability, discoverability, and faster inception of a given project
- Build the foundation of backend technology on easy-to-use and easy-to-discover self-service principles that we expose to the wider internal community of artists, testers, producers, and engineers.
- Architects, develops, maintains and uses the backend frameworks in support of ongoing software development and maintenance efforts.
- Develop and maintain backend strategy and configurations.
- Implements, documents, and maintains installation scripts or programs to promote software from development environments through testing and into production environments, ensuring that each environment is correct and consistent.
- Implements all aspects of the development and implementation of backend systems.
- Provides day-to-day operation support for backend services currently deployed.
- Implements and documents the creation of new backend components for improving the performance, monitoring and structure of overall system architecture.
- Implements and documents the integration of cloud infrastructure into the software delivery process.
- Use procedures and processes to provide organizational support to control source code, through defined branching, labeling, and versioning schemes.
- Recommends and implements enhancements of branching strategies, versioning scheme, and labeling definitions.
- Implements build, release, and deployment strategies to support change management processes, addressing the end-to-end process and controls.
- Operates within the clearly defined structure of established backend standards, practices and protocols.
- Implements in the development of backend standards, practices, and protocols.
- Administer, control, and audit regular backend system releases throughout the SDLC.
- Attend seminars and conferences sessions as directed.
- Implements the training of peers in backend system use and defined backend processes.
- Participates in mentoring junior team members.
- Participates in conversations about strategic operational goals for the ADG Backend Engineering organization.
- Recommends reporting and auditing strategies for backend services, tasks, and activities
- Participates in the recommendation of backend service philosophy, processes, and procedures that will be applied to all projects.
- Through troubleshooting, identifies problems with the functionality and integrity of assigned applications and implements solutions to a variety of backend service technical problems.
- Accountable for achieving high levels of personal operating efficiencies on assigned tasks.
- Anticipates and avoids complex problems; solves problems quickly and efficiently within the ADG and ILMxLAB organizational structure.
- Identifies, recommends, and develops areas of process improvement.
- Communicate semi-complex technical information in understandable terms for both technical and non-technical personnel to a variety of audiences.
- Communication with both internal and external contacts at peer levels to diagnose and resolve backend service and related application development problems.
- Interacts with peers and participates in interactions with management and senior level staff within other departments, units or functions regarding backend service issues and problems with assigned applications.
- Sometimes communicates to convince others.
- As assigned, participates in interpreting specific aspects of backend service findings.
- Good knowledge of trends, technology advances, new products, and best practices in backend service processes and standards.
- Good understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) or Application Lifecycle Management (ALM).
- Strong knowledge and experience with programming languages, relational databases, and configuration file formats.
- College degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 4-7 years experience in a related field.
- Understanding of DevOps principles including but not limited to build, release, deployment and system automation.
- Passion for immersive media such as virtual, augmented, or mixed reality.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks.
- Experience using a continuous integration system.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a distributed team.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and then implement new techniques.
- Preferred Skills:
- Python or Node.js for building RESTful or gRPC services, selecting the best framework depending on use case.
- Unreal Engine, including C++ and C# code for plugin development of massively-scaled multiplayer experiences.
- Jinja2 templating syntax for several of the mentioned stacks
- Dockerfile and docker-compose syntax for container image creation of portable deployment.
- AWS ECS/EKS for containerized deployments of services.
- AWS Lambda for serverless workflows and services.
- Windows and Linux administration
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.