Sr. Product Manager, Content Metadata
San Francisco, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763523BR Location San Francisco, California, United States; Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 24, 2020
Job Summary:We’re looking for a highly enthusiastic product leader to join our Personalization & Discovery team. As part of our rapidly growing Personalization & Discovery Product team, you’ll invent new means of leveraging Disney’s broad IP and content metadata in unique and innovative ways to craft meaningful, relevant experiences for our customers, both within our products and beyond. Your work will drive delight for customers seeking content on Disney+, ESPN+ and other Disney direct-to-consumer products.
You should be accustomed to solving complex consumer-facing problems, developing strategies and roadmaps, and executing on those plans. You will need those skills to build great products for our customers by constantly improving on our personalization and discovery capabilities. As the Senior Product Manager of Content Metadata, you’ll work with cross-functional teams across engineering, design, research and analytics to deliver exceptional products, features and experiences
- Lead a cross-functional team to drive the acquisition, integration and distribution of video metadata to enhance Disney Streaming Service’s discovery and personalization experiences.
- Collaborate with partner management, product, operations and engineering to produce actionable plans to support the launch of key personalization and discovery features across all Disney Streaming Services platforms and endpoints.
- Oversee the development of content metadata standards, hierarchies and controlled vocabularies that power search and personalization features.
- Partner with Disney’s content and technology teams to identify and execute opportunities to broaden our content taxonomies and improve existing metadata.
- Provide expert guidance to stakeholders to identify new structured and unstructured metadata sources.
- Tackle escalated metadata queries, troubleshoot issues, identify and implement solutions.
- Work with engineering teams to build a technology vision, anticipate scale challenges, map business requirements to technical vision, and increase the service capabilities to better support internal and external partners.
- Guide the creation and iteration of Disney’s metadata Taxonomies and Ontologies in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Work cross-functionally across the company to understand how metadata can be leveraged to drive user growth, engagement and revenue.
- Define and document product requirements, use cases and user stories.
- Translate business goals into measurable objectives and product strategies.
- Assume product ownership and provide leadership from definition through delivery.
- Minimum of 5 years of media product management experience.
- Deep understanding of what drives modern day search and personalization user experiences using artificial intelligence, machine learning and natural language processing.
- Experience working with, adding to and/or creating content taxonomies and ontologies.
- Mastery in working cross-organization; negotiating and managing conflict to win over partners.
- Strong communicator with the ability to moderate based on audience and demonstrate an ability to partner with a range of cross cultural and cross functional partners.
- Possess a strong servant-leader mindset, consider product development a team sport and are comfortable leading without authority.
- Confidence and comfort working with a high degree of autonomy, in a fast-paced, customer-first and software-as-a-service environment.
- Consistent record of successfully working with engineers, designers, legal and operational teams, communicating effectively both horizontally and vertically.
- Excellent analytical abilities with strong user empathy and awareness motivated by qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Able to synthesize user data and customer research into actionable product insights.
- Strong technical literacy with an excellent grasp of the engineering challenges and core technologies that drive a media business.
- Bachelor's degree desired, ideally in library science, or equivalent work experience.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.