Sr Rendering Engineer - MobileApply Now Apply Later Job ID 738573BR Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Lucasfilm Date posted Jan. 15, 2020
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB immersive experiences, as well as in film and other media.
As a part of ADG, you will develop new techniques for real-time rendering on current and future mobile devices, deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and work closely with our sister company Industrial Light & Magic to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. You will set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering on mobile XR platforms.
- Partner with ILMxLAB production teams, department stakeholders, and developers, designers, and artists to provide feedback and create clear and estimable technical designs.
- Provide creative, tested, and high-quality technical implementations that meet design and art requirements.
- Provide deep domain expertise in the area of rendering on mobile platforms.
- Maintain awareness of how technical implementation affects performance and memory footprint on mobile platforms.
- Seek to increase design and art departmental efficiency through tooling or workflow enhancements.
- Contribute to core studio mobile technologies in an architecturally sound way to ensure cohesive development efforts across multiple projects.
- Plan and manage tasks and schedules effectively.
- Team with other engineers to form a highly productive team.
- Passion for the craft of mobile development, particularly mobile VR
- Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
- Strong graphics background with the ability to demonstrate knowledge in the following rendering areas: lighting, shadows, mesh processing, low-level graphics APIs, animation/deformation, particles and FX simulation, shaders
- Understanding of 3D scene construction, the graphics pipeline, and graphics debugging on mobile platforms
- Experience writing rendering code within modern game engines
- Strong knowledge of C/C++ programming, best practices, architectural considerations
- Communicate well with non-technical partners from other disciplines, such as artists, designers, and producers
- Strong debugging skills, including graphics debugging and mobile platform debugging tools
- Understanding parallel programming, resource management, and GPU considerations specific to mobile platforms
- Deep experience of one or more of industry standard graphics APIs for mobile rendering (Vulkan, OpenGL, Metal)
- Deep experience of shader languages (HLSL/GLSL/Cg/OSL)
- Self-motivated person with excellent problem solving skills
- 5+ years of prior experience of coding in the role of Graphics Engineer for mobile development
- Experience with art-related tools such as Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 mobile development
- Experience in mobile VR rendering, particularly on the Oculus Quest platform
- Experience in embedded systems, especially console development
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Scientific discipline
- Advanced degree preferred
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.