Technical Assistant, Level I San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID olrX7fwA Location San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Feb. 17, 2022
The Technical Assistant I (TA) is responsible for providing front line rendering and data management support for ILM VFX Production teams and the facility. TA’s are also responsible for managing storage by wrangling data through archiving, removing data and following resource management best practices. The TA team ensures full utilization of the render farm during their shift and communicates as technical issues affecting the throughput the farm arise.
What You'll Do
- Prioritize overnight renders. Coordinate processor allocations with Production Engineering & Show Production teams. Balance processor demands within show, between shows, and as a share of facility pool
- Responsible for reporting issues with frames post render to the digital artists and CG Supervisors and work to find a solution
- Work to ensure full resource utilization during the night. Manipulate priorities to ensure that renders are completed by next business day. Report any machine problems or general issues that hinder the completion of renders to the appropriate department
- Monitor disk usage for the facility, with a particular focus on individual shows, and on a shot-by-shot basis within those shows. Coordinate show storage needs on a long-term basis with Digital Resource Manager
- Work with the Digital Resource Manager, CG Supervisors and Production Engineering team to ensure show follows proper data management procedures
- Prioritize, manage, and maintain archive of show data, including creation of archival backups for shows, maintenance of archive database, storage and retrieval of physical media for recent show archives. Fulfill all data restoration requests, including archival research to locate requested data
- Responsible for maintaining and updating department tools. Work closely with Production Engineering to ensure that code is clean and well maintained
- Participate in development projects; write production and pipeline scripts and tools as required to support ongoing technology efforts
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Film Production or equivalent degree.
- 1-2 years relevant work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities
- Proven ability and experience working well on teams
- Strong time management skills; Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Aesthetic eye and/or artistic background highly desired
- Familiarity with film and video post-production and/or computer graphics techniques highly desired
- Proven ability to work autonomously and in team settings.
- Highly motivated
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt to a high pressure, fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to work shift hours as required
- Proven Knowledge of and experience with Mac, Linux & Windows operating systems.
- Strong scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl) and programming language (e.g. C/C++, Java) is a must.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, 3D animation software (e.g. Maya) highly desired.
- Database knowledge preferred (e.g. Oracle, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Knowledge of networking, tape backup systems, hardware a plus
- VFX, Feature Animation, or Episodic production experience a plus
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Industrial Light & Magic, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Industrial Light & Magic is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.