Assistant Chief Counsel, Hulu Original ContentApply NowApply Later Job ID 931323BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Mar. 01, 2022
The Assistant Chief Counsel (ACC) is responsible for leading the Hulu Originals legal team, which negotiates and drafts all deals bringing original programming to Hulu, and supports the production and exploitation of that content. As the lead attorney on the team, the ACC serves as the subject matter expert and is responsible for providing guidance on all aspects of deal making and original programming (scripted and unscripted, film and television) to the Hulu Originals team. The ACC is expected to manage a high volume and variety of deals, including production services agreements, license agreements, rights deals, first-look agreements, talent agreements, theatrical distribution, intercreditor and security agreements, professional services agreements, and to train and manage a team to do the same. The ACC will also work with senior business and legal stakeholders across The Walt Disney Company to create and implement efficient processes for Hulu to operate as part of The Walt Disney Company. If you're equal parts leader & doer, who brings an ambitious, efficient, and inclusive spirit to all you do, we'd love you to join our team!
- Lead drafting and negotiation of all original series (scripted and unscripted) and film (scripted and documentaries) license agreements, production services agreements, rights deals, first look and overall agreements, talent agreements, and various ancillary agreements in connection therewith (e.g., off-platform distribution, intercreditor and security agreements, professional services agreements).
- Lead oversight of production legal matters on Hulu original programing, including approving above-the-line and below-the-line talent agreements, releases, casting materials, materials licenses, location and vendor agreements, background checks, production and clearance counsel selection, chain-of-title review, health and safety procedures, and guild/union matters.
- Develop forms, policies, and procedures related to Hulu original programming to minimize risk and increase efficiencies.
- Hire, train, and manage a team of mid-level and junior attorneys.
- Be a strategic thought partner to senior business and legal stakeholders across Hulu and The Walt Disney Company.
- Seek input and drive consensus across the company’s various business units (including content distribution, marketing, technology, product, and finance teams) as deal terms are crafted and finalized.
- Advise internal partners across the company on operationalizing contractual requirements.
- 12 to 15+ years total experience; minimum of 10 years in the entertainment industry with a mix of in-house experience at a major studio, network, or online video distributor and experience at a law firm focusing on media/entertainment transactions or other corporate transactions.
- J.D. degree; strong academic credentials.
- Significant experience negotiating and drafting production services agreements and license agreements for scripted television, unscripted television, and documentary film/television programming.
- Experience negotiating and drafting rights and other content development agreements; talent agreements; content finance-related agreements, including intercreditor and security agreements; and SVOD and AVOD/FVOD content distribution agreements.
- Experience overseeing or directly managing production legal on scripted and unscripted series projects.
- Exceptional drafting, negotiation, communication, organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority, and high volume projects.
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, and interpersonal skills.
- A deep familiarity with legal issues related to the production and online distribution of television and motion picture content (scripted and unscripted).
- Demonstrated ability to hire, train, and lead a team of both junior and experienced lawyers .
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, devise practical solutions to complex issues, and act as a strategic partner for senior business stakeholders and new business initiatives.
- Strong analytical capabilities and ability to tackle matters of first impression for the company.
Additional Information:Just like the best ensemble casts of our favorite shows, Hulu embraces diversity and is an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. Hulu is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants if needed during the interview process. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#CORP_MEDIA and #legalaffairs
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.