Associate Principal Counsel, Hulu Original ContentApply NowApply Later Job ID 928757BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Hulu Date posted May 24, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Hulu is looking to add to its legal team an Original Content Attorney to negotiate and draft deals bringing original programming to Hulu and support the production and exploitation of that content. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to tackle multiple projects with strong attention to detail, and have significant experience negotiating and drafting production services agreements and license agreements for, and overseeing production on, original programming. The successful candidate should have at least 5 years of on-point legal experience. If you're equal parts leader & doer, who brings an ambitious, efficient, and inclusive spirit to all you do, we'd love you to join our team!
- Lead drafting and negotiation of third party produced original series (scripted and unscripted) and film (scripted and documentaries) license agreements, production services agreements, rights deals, occasional talent agreements, and various ancillary agreements in connection therewith (e.g., off-platform distribution, intercreditor and security agreements, professional services agreements).
- Oversee production legal matters on Hulu original programing, including approving above-the-line and below-the-line talent agreements, releases, casting materials, materials licenses, location and vendor agreements, background checks, production and clearance counsel selection, and guild/union matters.
- Assist in improving processes for oversight of production legal matters on Hulu original programming.
- Coordinate with other legal and business teams within The Walt Disney Company to establish efficient processes and workflows to allow content from other divisions to be utilized by Hulu and vice versa.
- Work directly with and counsel Hulu’s junior and senior original content business team members in all phases of originals deal making and content production from both a business and legal perspective.
- Seek input and drive consensus across the company’s various business units (including content distribution, marketing, technology, product, and finance teams) as deal terms are crafted and finalized.
- Advise internal partners across the company on operationalizing contractual requirements.
- 5-8 years total experience.
- 3+ years original content production or licensing experience at a major studio, network, online video distributor, and/or entertainment law firm is required.
- 2+ years at a law firm focusing on media/entertainment transactions or other corporate transactions (M&A, finance, securities) is required.
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside of expertise.
- Experience in negotiating and drafting production services agreements and license agreements for original content is required. Experience drafting rights and other content development agreements and/or talent agreements is preferred.
- Production legal experience with unscripted and/or documentary programming strongly preferred.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials.
Additional Information:#CORP_MEDIA and #legalaffairs
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we're looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call Hulu.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.