Associate Principal Counsel, Product Generalist, HuluApply NowApply Later Job ID 928751BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted May 16, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Hulu's Legal Department is seeking an attorney with significant product and technology advisory experience to join the Product Legal team. In this role, you will guide the development of next-generation technologies, features, and designs for Hulu’s ad-supported and ad-free SVOD, LIVE TV, and Premium add-on experiences. Your advice will support planning, execution, and go-to-market strategies for key business drivers, often against the backdrop of an uncertain legal landscape. And you will help build scalable, efficient, and transparent processes to provide comprehensive legal review on key product initiatives. The successful candidate should have at least 5 years of related legal experience. If you're equal parts leader & doer, who brings an ambitious, efficient, and inclusive spirit to all you do, we'd love you to join our team!
- Provide practical guidance to product, engineering, design, and product marketing teams on pivotal consumer and contractual issues across the subscriber lifecycle.
- Assess risk and offer creative solutions in delivering general product and technology counseling in a rapidly-changing streaming industry.
- Advise on billing and payments issues, user flows, third-party partnerships, and device and platform integrations.
- Partner with subject matter experts on key issues related to the Hulu product and business, including regulatory and privacy compliance, implementation of new legislative requirements, and other general corporate matters.
- Support Hulu’s viewer experience, product marketing, corporate communications, and other user-facing teams on product-related descriptions and disclosures.
- 5+ years in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or an in-house legal department in the technology or media industries.
- Possess a solid working knowledge of consumer law (particularly focused on consumer subscription services), technology law and policy, and accessibility to help Hulu navigate these areas in conjunction with subject matter experts.
- Fluency in both discussing complex technical terms with internal counterparts and distilling those concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and interact effectively with a diverse set of stakeholders, including other attorneys, senior executives, product managers and engineers.
- Strong analytical capabilities, judgment, and integrity.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to “take ownership” of projects and tackle matters outside of expertise.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.