Counsel – DATA & DMED TechnologyApply NowApply Later Job ID 869714BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Oct. 27, 2021
The DATA team is responsible for all data product, technology, analytics and governance efforts across The Walt Disney Company’s consumer-facing digital media products, including its direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu. The DATA team provides the data and the tools for objective, data-driven decision making for content personalization and consumer insights and works closely with the Disney Media Entertainment and Distribution (“DMED”) group that aligns Disney’s technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment.
As part of the TWDC Legal Department, DATA and DMED Technology Legal teams provide legal advice and contracting support to their respective businesses related to digital products, technology, data analytics, data governance, strategic operations and international matters. We are searching for an experienced attorney, with sound legal expertise and judgment, to work in a legal role with the DATA and DMED Technology teams.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of agreements for technology and services, including software license, software as a service, professional services, evaluation, reseller, procurement, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Provide legal analysis and advice regarding technology initiatives and strategy for the DATA and DMED businesses, including counseling and collaborating with colleagues on associated intellectual property, regulatory, privacy, security, and other issues, and internal company guidelines and procedures.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating complex agreements or in an IP practice.
- Knowledge of technology issues, law and policy, including data platforms, information infrastructure, content management and delivery, digital media marketing, and open source software.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and think proactively to anticipate and understand the implications of agreements, contractual provisions, and related decisions on a business, including identifying and assessing potential risks and impacts.
- Excellent writing, negotiating, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with people at different levels both within and outside the company, including other attorneys, senior executives, managers, and engineers.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and work through projects independently.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Experience specializing in technology transactions representing major corporate clients.
- In-house corporate legal department experience.
- JD or equivalent.
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.