Counsel, Legal – Hulu Original ContentApply NowApply Later Job ID 916989BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Jan. 24, 2022
Hulu is looking to add to its legal team an original content attorney to negotiate and draft deals bringing original programming to Hulu and support the production and exploitation of that content. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to tackle multiple projects with strong attention to detail, and have experience negotiating and drafting production services agreements and license agreements for original programming. The successful candidate should have at least 4 years of related legal experience. If you have a strong analytical mind and bring an ambitious, efficient, and inclusive spirit to all you do, we'd love you to join our team!
- Draft and negotiate third-party produced original series (scripted and unscripted) and film (scripted and documentaries) license agreements, production services agreements, rights deals, occasional talent agreements, and various ancillary agreements in connection therewith (e.g., off-platform distribution, inter-creditor and security agreements, professional services agreements).
- Work on production legal matters for Hulu original programming, including approving above-the-line and below-the-line talent agreements, releases, casting materials, materials licenses, location and vendor agreements, background checks, production and clearance counsel selection, and guild/union matters.
- Work directly with and counsel Hulu’s junior and senior original content business team members in all phases of originals deal making and content production from both a business and legal perspective.
- Seek input and drive consensus across the company’s various business units (including content distribution, marketing, technology product, and finance teams) as deal terms are crafted and finalized.
- Advise internal partners across the company on operationalizing contractual requirements.
- 4+ years total experience.
- J.D. degree; strong academic credentials.
- 2+ years at a law firm focusing on media/entertainment transactions or other corporate transactions (M&A, finance, securities).
- 2+ years at a major studio, network, or online video distributor working on content production or licensing/distribution deals is preferred, but not required.
- Experience negotiating and drafting production services agreements and license agreements for original content or other complex media/entertainment transactions. Experience drafting rights and other content development agreements and/or talent agreements is preferred.
- Production legal experience is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside of expertise.
Additional Information:Just like the best ensemble casts of our favorite shows, Hulu embraces diversity and is an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. Hulu is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants if needed during the interview process. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#CORP_MEDIA and #legalaffairs
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.